Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

red dot

Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default red dot

Any of you use a red dot on your shotgun for deer? If you do what are your thoughts on them?

Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 AM

Default RE: red dot

I haven't used on on a shot gun. I shot a friend's 30-30 at the range with a red dot. I didn't like it. His would pretty much cover a fairly large area of the target. I'm thinking it was approximately 3" at 50 yards and 6 at 100 (I could be wrong on the size, but it's in that ball park). Now, this is adequate for a kill shot, but I personally didn't like it. He has shot several deer now with that outfit, but this year was telling me he really wasn't satisfied with his red dot for this same reason - it covered too much area. I don't know which brand he has but I understand there are more precise (smaller) red dots out there.

For this reason I went with a low power compact scope on my own 30-30 this year - a 1-3 X 20 Weaver V3. I'm very happy with it. There are other alternatives out there too like luminous open sights. I might suggest you go to a good gun shop and see if you can point some of them.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM

Default RE: red dot

My dad, brother in law and sister all use red dots on their shotguns and they all love them compared to open sites.