Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it possible?

Old 11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is it possible?

I was wondering if it's possible for a 10-point buck with a split browtine and 5-inch drop tine with a rough score of 125-135to only be two years old? I know it would be highly unlikely but he had a very low body weight(145ish) and small hooves and a very un-Roman nose to him. we haven't checked the teeth yet but we know he can't be older than three. Anyone ever seen/heard of a deer this big that young?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:18 PM

Default RE: Is it possible?

I don't know but I'd like to see a pic.With what your describing I would say yes.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

I've got pics but have to get them developed and will probably wait til after the season to do so.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pics of the teeth are better than the pics of the deer/rack. Those teefers ain't gonna tell no lies.

Sometimes you run into genetic freaks that make the hardware possible - but even then, the teeth are, as always, the most reliable determining factor.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Pics of the teeth are better than the pics of the deer/rack. Those teefers ain't gonna tell no lies.

Sometimes you run into genetic freaks that make the hardware possible - but even then, the teeth are, as always, the most reliable determining factor.
The teeth will tell the story!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I don't have pictures of the teeth but I'll try and have my riend get some for me.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 AM

Whats he been eatin?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

soybeans, corn, and acorns off our farm. Unless my neighbors have foodplots all they eat are crops and whatevert else they find. Until next year!
Old 11-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Yes it is very possible and quite common believe it or not. A 1.5 year old deer will sport anything between a set of spikes up to 100 inches give or take. A 2.5 year old deer could have upwards of a 150" rack given the right food and superior genetics. On the flip side, some deer die of old age and never sport 100" racks their entire life. 125" deer at 2.5, although not realcommon, is far fromuncommon. Heck, I shot one that was over 140" at 2.5. I have all the sheds off a buck that had 110" ten point rack at a year and a half. He was 145" eleven point deer at 2.5, just shy of a 170"13 point at 3.5, and my buddy just killed him a week ago at4.5. This year he was a 12 point, and he scored just under 150". He got injured last December and it hurt his horns this year, but what a buck nonetheless. Hope that answered your question.