Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman! >

Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman!

Old 11-13-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman!

Someone please help me! For the first time in my life I feellike a helpless woman! I'm so clueless on the subject of hunting. I know that hunting with a crossbow is a controversial subject. I figured that out while searching for a chat room that would help me get info. I have a boyfriend that lives for deer season. We live in west Tennessee and the first muzzleloader season just ended. SoI didn't see Allen(the aforementioned boyfriend) for a week. He wants to get into hunting with a crossbow and has in fact asked me to get him one for christmas. I was shopping on ebay for one, and I found quite a few. The problem is I don't know what kind of crossbow is the right kind. I need info, 50 pounds, 100 pounds, what is the right size to bring down a deer that Allen will talk about for the rest of his life?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman!

look at horton, and the ten point model(sorry don't know the brand on the ten point). those are two of the best.any of those cross bows will make him happy.happy and good hunting.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:36 PM

thanks for the help kbick!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:37 PM

Not sure about a good crossbow but I don't suggest getting one from EBay.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:38 PM

Do a search in the bowhunting forum or technical section. I beleive there is a post open right now (maybe it's yours?). We have talked about it more than a few times. It really depends on what your budget is.

There are also a few crossbow forums I could give you links to if you would like.

Horton, 10 point(probably the best from what I have heard), Xcalibur and parker are among some of the more popular good ones. Darton also makes some and there is always barnette, but some of them are pretty cheap I don't know that I would suggest one if you were serious about it.

I would look for one with around 150lbs draw weight with compound limbs. I personally don't think the 75-100 lb recurve ones are good enough to hunt with. And remember, good Xbows are not cheap!

Has he considered taking up archery? Most of the new compound bows are better than a crossbow in my opinion. Plus archery is fun.

Paul
Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 PM

I got my current bow this year from E-BAY..saved about $80 on it, and it is great.

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

You need to post this question in the,

Bowhunting Gear Review forum

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=37

Good Luck

Ps Tell the boyfriend how Lucky I said he was LoL
Old 11-13-2005, 08:45 PM

Thanks Paul, he has actually talked about trying archery and he even got a bow last year, but hasn't had much time to practice with it. He's a great shot with a rifle and does pretty well with a muzzleloader. I think he really wants to legally kill deer!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM

You guys are great! I really appreciate all this info.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM

I can't offer any advice on crossbows. But watch out on Ebay. You can get a very good deal, as long as you know exactly what you want. You can waste a lot of money really fast. And like said earlier, be prepaired to spend a good chunk of change. I was looking at some at my proshop, and was surprised how pricy they are.
You might also consider looking at Cabela's. You can get a good feel for price, and they list the different specs to help you decide. Good luck, and good hunting.

Quick Reply: Crossbow hunters, please help this clueless woman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.