Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need ground blind recommendation;pop up >

Need ground blind recommendation;pop up

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need ground blind recommendation;pop up

Old 11-09-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Need ground blind recommendation;pop up

ORIGINAL: brobert225

I looked at the Dbull but it is too heavy and when it rains it runs in on you. Of the 2, I prefer the doghouse.
You say you "looked" at the DB...Have you hunted out of it? I dont recall getting wet when I was hunting out ofmy buddy's.I'm archery hunting so a little waterisn't going to bother me anyways.

Can I suggest that ifanyone has any reservations about the blind that youfind a DB dealer and they'll give you a DVD about the system. Hell, they'll probably mail you one if you call them. There must be 50 or morehunts on that DVD...some excellentfootage of Elk, Deer, Pigs, Turkey, and Antelope. These guys stand behind thier product. I suppose Ameristep does also.....but my wallet opens upfor a DB.

The DB has a LIFETIME framework warranty. You run the thing over with your truck and they'll fix the frame. The DB isn't for everybody, especially one who's on a tight budget. If you can afford it, buy the best you can buy. You dont skimp on the type of rifle, bow, shotgun you shoot...or even the ammo and arrows. I hunted from the BS5 and will be hunting out of the Matrix next year. One more thing...you dont have to wear all that expensive cammo. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Double bull and like it. Its not the lightest thing to lug around but quality is top notch compared to others in my opinion. I suggest looking at all the top brands since you want quality and see which suits you best.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the comments. others are welcome. obviously, like everything, it will require that i do look at some blinds on my own, but if i can cut the learning curve down by getting your opinions, that is helpful. The $400 DB blind is definately more than i want to spend, partly b/c I think i can find a high quality blind for much less and partly b/c I only expect to use it twice a year, maybe 3 times. Something that is of high quality, long lasting, easy to set up (very important) and pref light weight, but that is a lesser consideration.

anything at bass pro stand out? i have tons of free basspro bucks, though it is not necessary that i buy one from them by any means.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 AM

I build my own blinds..Maybe you will get alot of views from each kind of blinds in this forum. I know that most of the time these folk give ya the good n bad about everything...
My wife is a member of the Sportmens Guide and they have some cheap ones in there. She said someday she might by me one...lol if I'm good...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

tealboy
I currently hunt out of an Ameristep Brickhouse TSC. It has been very durable over the past 2 seasons for both turkey and deer. It is a very sturdy tent and has held up in hight wind, snow and rain well. There is plenty of room for 2 gun hunters. For archery there is more than enough room for 1 hunter but 2 is pushing it. Most blinds except for maybe the Ameristep bighouse or penthouse cannot fit 2 archers comfortably.
It sets up ant tears down very easily (maybe 30 seconds). It is about 15 pounds. Not the lightest but thats because the poles are sturdy.
There's a pic of it in this forum under my post "Youth Hunt Results" This is the only time I had set it up in a field. Mostly dense woods. I found it 2 years ago for $129

I've been in others, Doghouse, and Bighouse. The big house is very similar in design to the Brickhouse but huge!! you can stand, and shoot, have 2 archers, plenty of windows. But its heavier and more expensive maybe 20 lbs and $179
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Amereistep Doghouse blind is great and affordable. I love mine, I have room for 2 people to hunt out of. Ive taken a couple turkleys out of mine, cant wait to take a deer out of it.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am one who usually builds blinds out of natural material. However this year I neededsomeground blinds and the location didn't lend itself well so I build a couple box blinds but also needed a portable pop-up. Being in the same situation as you, I really didn't want to spend big dollars on a blind I might use a few times each fall. I ended up going with the Ameristep Doghouse, it is light,easy and works. I found it so good I have spiked in at one of the locations and it will stay their till end of season. It has housed 2 men with no problems, with stood lots of wind and freezing temperatures. Best of all it keeps out the elements and the deer just walk on by it, even though it really doesn't match the willow surroundings. The price was less than half that of other blinds.

My hunting partner was so impressed when he came out with me, he bought one. I guess time will tell how durable it is but for the cost I could buy 5 to 1 DB's. They(DB) are nice blinds if that is your only source, but not all rely on just one hiding spot!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

tealboy
I currently hunt out of an Ameristep Brickhouse TSC.
Another vote for this one. My friend has one and it awsome, we went to cabelas and made them set up just about everyone, we liked this one the best and he bought it. Took two doe out of it one morning during archery season here this year.
I have the ameristep out house and it is just way to small, cant even draw a bow out of it.I use it for an outhouse when we go to the beach. LOL !
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: DannyD

tealboy
I currently hunt out of an Ameristep Brickhouse TSC.
Another vote for this one. My friend has one and it awsome, we went to cabelas and made them set up just about everyone, we liked this one the best and he bought it. Took two doe out of it one morning during archery season here this year.
I have the ameristep out house and it is just way to small, cant even draw a bow out of it.I use it for an outhouse when we go to the beach. LOL !
Make that three for the Brickhouse. Reasonable price, very sturdy, easy to set up and plenty of room for two rifle hunters. Haven't tried 2 bow hunters, but might be a bit crowded for that.

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

I know somebody that has a doghouse blind or something...maybe the outhouse as referred to in previous posts. It folds up into a nice little circle and can be set up in a short amount of time. It's a very nice blind...never hunted out of it though.

Not sure the name, but I know there is a blind out there that a 360 degree shooting window instead of the standard 1 window per side. Don't know how quick the setup is but I would check it out.

Quick Reply: Need ground blind recommendation;pop up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.