Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GPS

Old 11-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Default GPS

Whats up guys.....This year for Christmas I told the wife I wanted a GPS system. My question is whats a good one to buy. I want it for the car and also the woods. I would like to be able to plot streams, where I see deer and trails and where all the treestands are on my land and also where I have killed deer before. Any help would be appreciated.
Matt
Old 11-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS

I have the Garmin Emap. The screen is a little large them most and it also has the map that’s great for traveling. I use it all the time for hunting and fishing for marking way points. The only little draw back is that it’s not water proof but it’s an excellent GPS. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased the garmin e- trex legend and purchased mapsource and a vedio tape on how to use the dang thing. I saved about 20 bucks by ordering it directly from garmin as opposed to BPS or Cabelas.

Bobby
Old 11-05-2005, 05:14 PM

I have and regularly use the old Garmin Geko 101. I have been looking at the Magellan SporTrak Topo when and if I upgrade.
http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=942

Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Magellen Explorist 200 and it is good for marking areas and plotting out things of interest. It serves the purpose I bought it for, hunting and getting me back to my vehicle. The best part is that it normally sells for $150, but I found one on Ebay for $80. It has good accuracy in the woods and it is accurate to about 30 or 40 feet under the trees with the leaves still on.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Garmin Vista with a 24K memory. I loaded all the topo maps I need and still have lots of capacity. The Legend model has 8K of memory and does about the same thing for about 100 bucks less. I have owned a Lawrance early generation unit and used a Magellin and I would say go with Garmin.