Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How should I hunt this?

Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Default How should I hunt this?

I have a large grass pasture which has not beenmowed or grazed in years. It has smaller maple trees in it and a creek down the middle. There is a small group of trees along one edge, a road along the other. How should I hunt this? Last night I saw a very large buck go into the field. Any suggestions would be apprecited.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How should I hunt this?

smitty, without more details of where the bedding areas are,the food sources, etc. its hard to give you any advice. One thing to keep in mind is always use the wind to your advantage! If you can hunt this area without the deer smelling you and staying close to where the does want to be, then you should have a chance at this or another buck due to the rut coming on soon. Find the does and you will find the bucks! Good luck!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How should I hunt this?

Depends on the grass growing there, how many is a few maple trees, etc. If possible setting up along the creek or over/around some of the thicker cover may pan out for you. Without knowing what game patterns are its hard to say.

I'd advise( if legal) putting strips of alfalfa or some other form of food in strategic spots in the field and hunting them. If hunting over them is not legal a food plot in one corner where you don't hunt and itshould increase the deer you see as there willbe food, water, and cover all in a small area.

Hopefully this is useful and not just restating the obvious.