Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problems with Wife!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Problems with Wife!

Hey Guys,

I am so worn down by my wife and her attitude about me getting in the woods, it does not even sound worth it anymore. I just can't understand the problem. I do more than most husbands and bring home great money. She doesn't even have to work. She HATES when I go hunting. It's like I'm choosing hunting or her every time I mention it. I am beat down and ready to concede she wins. I give up. Anyone else feel this way?

Mike
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Problems with Wife!

I wouldn't give up. My wife knew the day she met me, what hunting meant to me and that I was going to do it regardless and if she didnt like it to hit the road. She is still hereand still knows the rule.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was lucky and married a woman who's dad likes to hunt deer as much as I do. She grew up with him hunting a lot so she has no problem with the amount of hunting I do. In fact, her dad and I hunt together. That means a lot to her so she has no problem whatsoever with it. Every gun I own has been gifts from her (with her fathers direction of course...) There was one occasion when she mentioned how much money I spend on hunting to which I replied that a) this is my one hobby I have, the rest of the year I work my butt off, b) lets take a look at the checkbook to see how much money has been spent on scrapebooking in the last year. She put a grin on her face and said, "no, lets not do that" and everything was good again...

Maybe you can sit down with her and talk it out. Ask her what bothers her the most. Maybe its just too much time away that bothers her and you can come to a mutual understanding of how much is too much. Sending her flowers is ALWAYS a great idea. Of course if all else fails, bribery is your friend....
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Question is - will you really be happier staying at home? My wife was that way when we first got married. I almost gave in until the realization hit me that I DESERVE to hunt - It's my right - it's what keeps me happy! You could be doing something far worse. Would she prefer you take up the hobby of bar-hopping? I think not. Hunting is something wholesomethat is passed from father to son/daughter/wife that nothing in this world can compare to. Ask her if she would like to go one day - if she refuses (for whatever reason), tell her the truth - that she is selfish - and don't let her go shopping anymore.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you just need to tell your wife you are going to do this and not let her say otherwise. You are a free man in a free country, right? I consult my wife on most things and usually reach a concensus decision with her, but on important matters I would be ready to follow my own path. I'm not sure deer hunting qualifies as an "important matter," though.

I would ask her to explicitly state her objections. If she can't explicitly state her objections, than she really doesn't have objections. Get these objections written down on paper. Examine each objection separately and try to resolve them one by one. If she doesn't want to hunt because this takes time away from her, offer to compensate for this time away from her with special time with her -- a date, a weekend out of town doing something she likes, etc. If she objects to hunting because it costs too much, offer to offset the cost of hunting by savings you make on your own. If she doesn't trust you to be away for a deer season -- getting in trouble by drinking or chasing other women -- try to work on this trust issue. In the final analysis, if you have addressed each of her objections and she still doesn't agree to your going -- and deer hunting is important to you -- I say just make a command decision and get on out to the deer stand!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I do hunt with her father. The truth is that she has seen her mother do the same thing to her father and now it is one week at the cabin and season over for him. I don't ask anymore to spend two weeks at the cabin. We have 2 boys at home so I have changed my hunting a bunch. I now have 5 or 6 places I can hunt right near my home in the morning or evening and still get home by 6:30pm. I hate to lay down ultimatums, but it is sure coming to the point where she is going to make me choose. I should be thinking of what stand to get in right now and I am seeking counceling. This is so sad, I don't know how it got here. I have never abused the privelege. Her father just accepts the fact that he will hunt for one week and moves on. This is a guys that used to hunt out west growing up. I don't even know how to talk to him anymore. He went from outdoorsman with pride to being a cabana boy with shopping and playing golf with his wife 3 times a week. I'm dying here.

Mike
Old 11-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a dog and ditch the wife .... she said "for better or worse, in sickness and in health" .... well your "sickness" is hunting ...she needs to get over it !

Roll Tide
DD

Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

SAD SAD SAD ,I have no constructive advice.You made your bed ,quess you have to sleep in it. So sorry
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you promise her a Rose Garden?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

365 days a year you work whats one or two weeks.

Quick Reply: Problems with Wife!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.