Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Alternative to propane heaters.... >

Alternative to propane heaters....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alternative to propane heaters....

Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Alternative to propane heaters....

Here's an idea for those of us who like to stay warm on those cold hunting days. Take a roll of toliet paper and soak it with rubbing alcohol. Put it in a metal coffee can and light it. It usually burns 4-6 hours before it needs to be replaced. The toliet paper never really turns brown, it's just the alcohol that burns off. It does'nt smell either. I've used this method several times and was wondering if anyone else has ever tried it.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alternative to propane heaters....

I don't know.....sounds kinda like a molotov cocktail to me. What keeps it from blowing up? I guess the open end is up?

GH
Old 11-03-2005, 03:38 AM

This method of heat I believe was started years ago. I don't know where it started..The boyscouts used to use those in making torches and lighting pathways thru fields to get to the big fire consel for the night. Just make sure you have some kind of extingisher very close if problems arise. They Boy scouts used to place sand buckets and other material around in case of problems....
Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

CUTTER WE HAVE USED IT UP HERE IN NORTH ALABAMA A GOOD BIT ..HECK ITS CHEAP, WORKS WELLAND WE DON'T NEED ANY TOLIET PAPER AFTER #2WITH ALL THE CORN COBBS LYING ON THE GROUND ;&gt)

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 11-03-2005, 01:15 PM

I think I will stick with my small sport cat propane heater. I bet it puts out more heat and is way safer, especially in a small enclosed blind made out of wood.

Something very important to remember is to soak the paper in the chemical and then place it in the can. Some will take it the wrong way and pour the liquid in the can with the roll of toilet paper in it. This would be very very dangerous.

And I don't see how it cannot smell. I can smell rubbing alcohol from pretty far away, I can't imagine how well a deer could smell it.

Paul
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I've either seen this in Field & Stream or Outdoor Life or online...can't remember where. But it was a great article about emergency kits for your hunting vehicle and they mentioned this heater and how to build it and that you could actually keep it inside of your truck if that was your only shelter during cold weather. Wish I knew where I saw that article!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cutter81

Here's an idea for those of us who like to stay warm on those cold hunting days. Take a roll of toliet paper and soak it with rubbing alcohol. Put it in a metal coffee can and light it. It usually burns 4-6 hours before it needs to be replaced. The toliet paper never really turns brown, it's just the alcohol that burns off. It does'nt smell either. I've used this method several times and was wondering if anyone else has ever tried it.
We do the same thing, except we use gasline antifreeze. Works really well.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Spike

used them many time here in South Louisiana they work realy well , I use a roll of toilet paper with the center cardboard removed, shove it a coffee can and pour in a bottle of rubbing alchohol. Put the lid on and let it soak awhile. When you light it only the fumes burn, when you see the paper wanting to start burning cover with the lid, the fire smothers imediatly. The only danger I found is that the fire burns very clear, be careful not to burn yourself, other than that it seems to be very safe. It's cheep, can't spill, and has hardly any smell when burning. If compared, its alot safer than a high pressure propane bottle between your legs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

pretty sure the article was in Field and stream.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:36 PM

My propane heater has no open flame at all. You cannot get a severe burn from it and you cannot light anything on fire with it. If it tips over or something falls on it it will not catch anything on fire. It will even shut off and go out. Plus it gives off no toxins when it burns because of the type of element it uses and can be used safely in a small area with no health concerns.

I don't want to imagine what would happen if you tipped over one of these things and a flaming roll of TP rolled across the floor in a blind or in the brush. And God forbid if it actually had liquid in the bottom of the can. And I don't think rubbing alcohol burns that clean either that I would want to breath it.

The only way you are going to have a problem with a propane heater is if you puncture the tank, which is pretty darn hard to do. Much harder than having an accident with a burning accelerant in an open can.

I'm not saying it doesn't work or is not cheap. I just don't think it's the safest way go about it. My blind is 14 feet in the air, made out of wood and has carpeting. Not to mention I have black powder in there. I wouldn't try using that in my blind for sure.

Just my opinion anyway. However I will admit I have done dumber things in my life.

Paul

Quick Reply: Alternative to propane heaters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.