Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buck down in Wisconsin..pics.. >

Buck down in Wisconsin..pics..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck down in Wisconsin..pics..

Old 10-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Buck down in Wisconsin..pics..

Today was the opener of Zone-T anterless in Wisconsin, as well as the Earn a buck season in CWD units. We got to our farm early, and i plugged a doe right away. 50 yard shot, she was alone, and in estrous, as her hocks were very dark and she was alone. just my guess. i put my bullet actually too far in front of the left front shoulder, but the angle was great and i blew the opposite shoulder up. dropped in her tracks. Now that i was buck eligible, my dad decided to walk out a long ridge and i posted up on a hill road that ran parallel to it. we knew there was a nice buck in there, i have a few pictures of a nice 8 and a dandy 9, so i got ready. I couldn't hear hardly anything because of the frost melting and dripping down and all the leaves falling. I heard some rustling in the little woodlot up above me and i saw a doe. i coudlnt get a shot, so i figured i'd try for another doe that'd probably be behind her to get another buck tag for my pops. I was really surprised when i looked behind her to see a nice buck lip curling. After 5 mins, i took a 75 yard shot and watched him run off. i really had thought i'd missed, and i got back to covering the opposite hillside. a fat doe came through, and i just blew it and missed. a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer followed her, nose to the ground, bird dogging, was pretty cool. my dad came out soon after and we got up on the opposite woods to look for blood. immediately, i found a chunk of something on a tree, and we followed a great blood trail 40 yards to find the buck piled up. He's a 120" 8 pointer, 15" inside, 11" g-2's, hardly any brows, i estimate him at 200 lbs field dressed, very large bodied buck. I feel just absolutely blessed to take this guy, not my biggest, but he's still damn nice. great day overall. the rut is defintely on here in wisconsin. might not be peak rutting, but the bucks are really cruising, and there are does in estrous.

this buck was very yellow/orange around his eyes and top of his head, i'd suspect due from the secretions released when they rub the forehead and orbital glands. Also, his legs were wet from his hocks on down from urine and tarsal gland secretions. Overall, he smelled terrible. Stomach contents were corn and acorns, with some alfalfa

Old 10-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Default RE: Buck down in Wisconsin..pics..

sorry for the pic quality, it's the best i got right now.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck, congrats!

I'm a little confused though, how does the earn a buck program work? I thought you could only take bucks from Nov. 19-27th?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 PM

In the Herd Reduction Zone that our farm is in, oct 27-30 is the early Earn a Buck season while other parts of the state have doe only Zone-T regulations. You either have to shoot a doe during bow season and earn a buck tag for the early rifle hunt, or shoot a doe during the rifle hunt and get your buck tag or shoot a doe and buck on the same day and bring them in together like i did. the regs are really messed up for the HRZ zones this year. its either sex bow until oct 27, and then after the early rifle to regular rifle its earn a buck, and then from rifle season to january whatever it is, it goes back to either sex rifle or bow. i was really confused until i read it 3 or 4 times

Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Ahh ok, never knew about that. Something to look forward to next year!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM

What a wimpy little guy! The buck too!Sorry, couldn't resist--I'm having a manic episode. Really, a nice deer--congrats!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM

congrats and nice deer! i only wish we saw deer like that around here. but our doe to buck ratio is screwed up. last year i counted 11 does and not a single buck. Competition for even a spike is fierce.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great 8!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates nice buck
Old 10-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

GREAT JOB !!

ROLL TIDE
DD

Quick Reply: Buck down in Wisconsin..pics..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.