Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 learn from my mistakes...please read. >

learn from my mistakes...please read.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

learn from my mistakes...please read.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: learn from my mistakes...please read.

Just glad to hear that your ok.......
Old 10-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agood person realizes a mistake and learns from it. A truely good person will also tell others and help prevent it from occuring in the future. Glad to hear you are alright and thanks for the story.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 AM

Yo know I had something simialr happen to me. Scared em to death. It was my rfist year hunting. I was hunting with a 30/30. The kind that the safty was pulling the trigger and the other thing (can't rememner, have not had enough coffee) at the same time. I didnto like this. I liked the ones that had that and the puch button saftey. Well anyway. I was in my stand and I had to have th gun laying on my lap. This was a little standa nd I was sitting indian style, with the gun across my lap. My husband had just put me in the stand for my frist hunt and left fo his. I noticed the safety was not on, so I went to put it on (with the gun still in my lap), well I was not abe to coordinate both together and the gun went off...OH MY GOD, I was so scared. My leg felt really warm and I looked down and it had just barely grazed my lef, just took the cothing material off. I knew Jeff woudl be back in a moment, so I got down with my gun and started looking around "FOR A DEER" Sure enough Jeff was there. I told him the deer was standing over there near that tree, but that I was pretty sure I missed it. He startd looking for signs, I kept telling I know I missed it. Finally he said ok, after not being able to find anything. He went back to his stand. I went back to mine, unloaded my gun and sat there for 2 hours. I never saw a deer.

I lied to him, I could not imagine what he would say to me. I sat in that stand crying. Finally that evening I told him the truth, he was no mad, actually laughed at me. Needless to say I got a new gun out of it.

Kim
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

THANKS FOR SHARING ...GLAD YOUR SAFE ...

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM

I was squirrel hunting with a friend 2 weeks ago and we were walking through the woods and my gun just went off. It scared both of us and I couldnt find out why it happened. I knew I had the saftey on because I had just checked it and my finger wasnt on the trigger. The gun was pointed away from us and now I MAKE SURE it is when Im walking through the woods.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

kim~
too funny...i thought about keeping it myself too but i ended up calling my husband and crying over the phone....i'm glad your ok...and thanks for sharing.

and thanks to all y'all for not being mean and vicious
like i know y'all can be...
Old 10-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huntress,
it's great to hear that you came out of this OK!
As others said, it takes a lot of guts to openly tell a story like this! Even the safest person can make a mistake, or an accident, or malfunction can happen at any time!
You never know, by telling what happened to you, youmay save the life of someone you will never know, or hear about!
Having a gun go offnear you when you are not in the process of shooting it, is definitly a PIP (poop-in-pants) experience! Especially when you are alone in quiet woods!
I had a rifle go off as I was setting it on the ground many years back. Even though it was pointing away from me, it took a couple of moments just to get over the shock of what had just happened!
Anyway, I thank God that you are OK! At the least, its shows that we can never be TOO safe! PURE accidents can happen, and the LEAST bit of carelessness on our part, can MULTIPLY the chances of instant death!
Old 10-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Wow, glad everyone is ok. I'm the same as Chuck. I don't put a cap in my ML until I'm ready to shoot. I leave it loaded all season until I get a shot, but no cap unless I'm in my blind or stand.

If I put one in to stalk I don't sling the rifle, it stays at the ready position.

I know this isn't what happened in your situation, but I will give you another tip as well. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. Either lay it along the stock or put it in front of the trigger gaurd if your fingers are long enough. Most accidents happen because people put thier fingers on the trigger before they should.

I have had a few misshaps with fire arms, mostly pistols though. It is a very sobering experience. Like you luckily no one got hurt, but the potential was there.

Paul
Old 10-23-2005, 05:11 PM

THank the Lord you ae safe,and thank you for the reminder!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you are ok.

Quick Reply: learn from my mistakes...please read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.