Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with GPS

Old 10-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help with GPS

I need some help in deciding which GPS to buy, I don't know much about them or what even is available, any help is appreciated.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with GPS

Strut, I had the priviledge of meeting a guy a couple of years ago that was an instructor in mountain drug intradiction. He spent a good amount of time teaching me the finer points of GPS usage.

I have since spent countless hours and days goofing off in the woods using various Navigational aids, but most specifically the GPS.

For what it's worth, any GPS that you decide on will have the basics for getting around in the woods, it's learning how to use your specific model that dictates how effective it is.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was in the same boat, for years I used the old compass. I decided to try a basic GPS, Garmin Etrex (yellow guy). My plan was as stated get to know the finer points of using a GPS and use to having one and then by a fancy dancy high priced model. Guess what, I found this is all the GPS I need and haven't looked back. They are pretty basic to use, with a little practice and if possible a knowledgable user to show you some tips it will be money well spent.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend also going with one fo the extrex models, there are I beleive 6. All of them will do the basic features as getting to and from a location. The Vista and legend have street maps already loaded on them which is nice. The summit and vista also have a digital compass unlike the rest which is also nice. But with any of them, if you're just going to use them for getting to one location to another and then finding your way back, they'll all work. Good luck.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 10-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

My five hunting partners and I use Magellan 315 units and are more than well pleased.

If I were you I'd check into different varieties and pick the one that comes closest to meeting your needs; obviously I wound recommend the Magellan 315 GPS.

I am also a licensed pilot and if I were to give any specific advice regarding the use of the GPS it would be to use it until it becomes automatic. But most of all . . . Learn To Trust It . . . you'll not be sorry.

Bowhunter
Old 10-05-2002, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

All of the hunters in our camp use the etrex (yellow guy) as it is the easiest of any I have tried to operate. When hunting new territory (we try to hit at least 1 new spot every year) we go through and mark all the good sign that we see and back at camp download all the info onto the PC topo maps and look for any patterns. It is a great way to learn the areas you hunt. Get the etrex to start and upgrade from there if you find i necessary. Check out ebay for some super deals on guys who are upgrading. PS; ALWAYS, ALWAYS, carry at least 2 spare batteries and your compass just in case.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Spike

I have been using a GPS for about 4 years now and wouldn't be without one. My first was a Magellan 315. I used it for about a year and a half and one day when I was hunting it just died on me. After the warranty was up, of course. It would have cost me just as much to get it fixed as it would have for a new 315, so I went out and bought a Garmin Etrex Legend. I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years without a problem. One of my favorite features is that you can tranfer data back and forth between the GPS and your computer. You can also update your GPS from the Garmin website. They are also very easy to use. just a couple of things for you to consider. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, I will be looking for one in the near future, hopefully I can learn too use and trust it.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Not to bew left out. We also download and install new software as it comes available and our Magellans interface with our PC's and Topo ver 3.0.

Bowhunter