Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer like Cherries?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Spike

Default Do deer like Cherries?

One of the trees I like to use my climbing stand in has 3 smaller cherry trees around its base. They are all bearing fruit at the moment, and I was wondering if deer like cherries, and if this could act as a sort of natural attractant. I guess these could be something else, but they sure look like cherries. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do deer like Cherries?

I live in southern IL and most of the cherry trees here have fruit in the mid to late summer months. Are you sure its not persimmons? Thats about the only thing around here that would be bearing fruit right now that I can think of...besides apples.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Spike

I know they're not apples. Could be persimmons. They're red, small, and berry like. If they're persimmons, do they like those?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Persimmons are orange and about the size of a ping pong ball , and yes deer love them . They're like crack for deer , if you see droppings with hard black oval seeds in it the deer that left it was eating persimmons .
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like Autumn Olive berries to me....are the leaves kinda gray/silver? Autumn Olive trees are more of a bush....and deer love them here. Persimmons are kind of orange and deer and coons love them once they are ripe.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer love persimmons, cheeries, apples, crab apples,
plumbs, watermelons,acorns or any fruit they can get ahold of.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are they NOW? Deer will eat cherrys
Old 10-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

They could be small crabapples......We have tons of them where we hunt, I had no clue what they were and then found a tree on the Illinois State University quad, that has the tree labled as a crabapple tree.
From my experience the deer wont even touch them here.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Vogt_51

They could be small crabapples......We have tons of them where we hunt, I had no clue what they were and then found a tree on the Illinois State University quad, that has the tree labled as a crabapple tree.
From my experience the deer wont even touch them here.
I have 7 or 8 Crabapple trees, about60 wild Persimmon trees, over 80 Live Oak trees on 40 acres. In my yard I have6 mixed Citrus trees and they eat all they canfrom all the trees.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:19 PM

deer up here will eat just about anything.It seems to be that if there is a fence around it forget it--they'll attempt to eat it. esp my garden--lol---( srry this isnt any help)

Quick Reply: Do deer like Cherries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.