Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting? >

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

great post digi, i feel the same way, it is a shame that a few bad apples can ruin anything, thats why i hate to see groups of hunter fight amongst ourselves, hunters are a very small % of the population, people that dont hunt don't want or care to be drug into a non-issue for them, and quite frankly we don't want them involved either, that is why in one of my first post i suggested that the two sides had better get it taken care of between themselves, otherwise the non-issue public and the anti's will have all of it eleminated[&o], dont think it can't happen, i knew some hunters, that were having a squabble with another group, the land-owner took care of the problem, now the only people hunting the beautiful tract of property are the poachers that sneek in[:@], i know that is smaller scale but it could happen on a larger scale at anytime, food for thought......
Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do I mind dog hunting,no if it's on your land or club go for it.I've had dogs running deer from another property on to ours,I can't fault them for that.The funny thing I had happen was I shot a buck while these guys dogs were running on our land,the dog hunters thought I should give them my deer.They didn't get my deer,needless to say.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

To Briarhead...

M.T. here is another post by a still hunter who is very involved with trying to stop dog hunting.

I don't believe, however, that they make much effort to prevent their dogs from crossing the line when they're on a hot trail. The end result, however, is the same: Their dogs come on my property against my wishes, they chase deer on my property while I am trying to hunt the deer in their normal routine, and they stay on my property long after their "handlers" have gone home. Whatever HCHC's intentions are, they ruin MY use of MY land in the manner of MY choosing.
End Quote

This is what I am up against! This guy owns a few acres next to a huge tract of land that has been a dog hunting club for 20 years. He knewthe land next to himwas hunted by doggers before he ever bought his land which adjoins the 5,000 acres the doggers have. What I am trying to establish is thatwhat he is complaining aboutis indeed propaganda to be used as a tool to help stop dog hunting.Especially when he knew about the dog situation before ever buying his 20 acres.
Propaganda?

I believe you are the one spreading propaganda. There is zero logic behind your argument...

You paint the original poster as being the one in the wrong, when in fact the original poster is completely Correct. It is his land!

If the hunting club can't control their dogs they have two choices. Stop using dogs, or fence off all access to the neighbors property preventing the dogs from intruding on the neighbors land. They have no rights in this situation regardless of how long they may have hunted thier own land.

And Yes,

If running ones dogs on a neighbors property without permission is regularly occuring while hound hunting then it should be made illegal!

Propaganda defined..

What separates propaganda from "normal" communication is in the subtle, often insidious, ways that the message attempts to shape opinion. For example, propaganda is often presented in a way that attempts to deliberately evoke a strong emotion, especially by suggesting illogical (or non-intuitive) relationships between concepts.

And what if the dog club does keep their dogs off adjoining properties and these type of complaints still exsist? The "property owners rights" are the "spin" that some hard core still hunters are using to try and run down legitimate,ethical and responsible doghunters.

The slobs will eventually be weeded out by DNR Leo's. What protection does the safe and legal hunters have?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dogs are not allowed for big game hunting up here. I have never seen a dog while hunting deer. Just coyotes and mountain loins.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am for banning dog hunting for deerhere in N C. While I must admit that it is a thrill to hear the hounds in the woods, dogs andthose who choose to hunt with them cause too many problems.

I have had numerous hunts ON OUR OWN POSTED PROPERTY ruined by dogs illegally hunting our land. These were not dogs straying off as I heard the handlers dump the dogs off on our property. Sure enough one or two pickups would show up on the side I was onand start telling lies about how they were just trying to catch their dogs. Just BS...

I do not appreciate getting in my stand before light; watching does cross the path looking behind them; waiting for the rutting buck to cross; only to have some idiot ruin my hunt because he feels he is above the law.The deer belong to no one BUT THE LAND IS OURS. KEEP THE DOGS OFF!

If dog hunters would hunt onall the acres they supposedly rent no one would care. But for some reason they always feel they have to hunt the forbidden lands. This is true for all but one group of dog hunters I know.

And how about them speeding up and down the roads and parking all along the road side? Or do you want talk about the thousands of road improvements we have had ruined over the years? In fact we have only encountered one problem with still hunters.

If anyone says anything they are the ones veiwed as a$$es not the ones breaking the law.

Anyway, I would vote to permanently stop all deer dog hunting right now.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 PM

Post no.2---I just came back from driving 400 miles, each way,spent 500., and sat in the stand from sunup saturday, until 6:15, when it is getting primetime---peak rut in SC on top of that---I see a doe running, being chased by a small buck,nothing unusual, except that they have their tails up, then here comes 3 does, high tailing it, and I'm thinking--what's going on? Then I know---first a beagle, then a walker--out comes the nice buck I'm expecting and he does a s all mature bucks do when being chased by dogs, he circles back on them and disappears. Then another walker runs through. All with collars, and orange , marked iwth numbers from their club. Problem is, this is private land surrounded by thousands of acres of Oketee Plantation land, where dog hunting isn't allowed! My trip, my time , my money wasted, the buck is spooked, and I am totally po'ed! Where did they come from, and how did they get there? Another bad experience with dogs and dod hunters.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You try that in Wi and people end up with missing dogs.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. If a dog is running deer on my land, he is a dead dog. My dog or somebody elses dog, Makes no difference. Like I said it illegal here.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM

I was actually on a paid hunting trip one year. I seen a deer moving through very thick brush type cover. Five mintues later, here came to dog's. Thinking great, last night of the hunt and dog's show up and blow the hunt. Lo and behold about an hour later, here come's a buck. I know it was chased out by the dog's. (keep looking back and was skiddish). Ended up dropping the thing in it's tracks. Wasn't for the dog's, probably wouldn't of scored there that year. However, in my native Michigan, if I'm hunting and see a dog on a deer, it will soon be a dead dog.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Where I hunt dogs do not run - they would get eaten by wolf, coyotes, or couger. These have ruined by hunt before though. Many people up my way will shoot a dog if it even looks like it is running a deer track.

Complaine to the dog cops - of they are bugging you, you have the right to be heard.

Quick Reply: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.