Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Selling racks

Old 10-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Selling racks

Thats a tough one.
On one side, a guy who kills his buck legally has the right to sell it if he chooses.
On the other, high dollar racks give poachers more of a reason to do so.
Well said Dan. I had not given that much consideration but it makes perfect sense. From my perspective I cannot see how anyone would want to sell their racks as each must mean something to the hunter....that is unless you are really hard up for money or you just kill so many bucks that it doesn't matter anymore....
?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You also have to remember that just because someone has a rack for sale doesn't mean they put in the time and shot that animal. A lot of people get mounts and antlers from estate sales or handed down to them. These same people may not even be hunters and have no desire to keep them so the only thing left is to sell them. Yes, I agree, looking at it from our perspective as hunters we would never sell our racks because they hold a special meaning. However, we must remember that not everyone cares about the racks their deer have. I have actually bought one mule deer rack that probably scored around 165 but not to hang on the wall. I actually wanted to make and antler lamp and didn't want to use one of my own racks.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have thought about this before. If I killed on that was a world record, I would probably sell it. For these reasons. I would never be able to keep it in my house and enjoy it for fear of someone breaking in an stealing it and maybe doing something to my family. It is not worth that. I would want a reproduction of it thought. I have also thought you could loan it out to like Bass Pro or Cabelas to show in there stores. I know it would be safe there,but then again I couldnt enjoy it. But the chances of killing a world record are the same as me hitting the lotto.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Furync,
"Why would you buy a rack"

Would you not but a painting if you didn't paint it? Many people do not have an opportunity to kill a large racked buck yet they would still like to have one just because it looks great.

I'm not saying I would but I can see why someone might want to buy one.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If money was no object, I'd pay through the nose for a monster whitetail to hang in my office. I don't have to be the guy that shot it to appreciate an exceptional buck.

Also, if I harvested a buck, found a shed, or somebody gave me a rack, I would think that I would like to have the option of selling it. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind selling some of my old ones, b/c I'm overrun with antlers that I've been collecting since I was 10. It's better than throwing them away, that's for sure.

In contrast, as noted above, it does encourage poaching, which sucks.

I guess I don't have a problem with it at all. I look at it as a property right, I suppose.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Furync,
"Why would you buy a rack"

Would you not but a painting if you didn't paint it? Many people do not have an opportunity to kill a large racked buck yet they would still like to have one just because it looks great.

I'm not saying I would but I can see why someone might want to buy one.

Ok, I can agree with you there DannyD, but what does people paying 5000$ for a rack going to promote?certainly not honest sportsmen that can only tag 1 deer per year (like in my area). The buyermay bedoing it out of pure pleasure but where do the racks come from? I dont see any hunters here wanting to put their racks up for sale. So it can only (ok a majority) come from poaching. right?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Furync

That's too bad imo, I think it only gives a reason for poacher to keep on poachin'.

And whoever buys it is going to say what? that he bought it and look like an idiot?

why would you even buy a rack?

I have offers from canadians to sell thier 100's of pounds of sheds.Knife makers use them for custom knife handles and Asians make a powder of them as an Aphrodisiac.
100's ofpounds of sheds... I can believe a guy saying he found a couple sheds but seriously... 100's of pounds??? are you kidding?

I canunderstand how a knife maker or aAsian storeowner might have em in bulk but... i dont believe, no matter how much walking around in jan/feb you do every year, that you can end up with 100's of pounds of it.
The only possible way i can see for someone to obtain 100's of pounds of shed (legally) is by owning a deer farm.And I dont know many people that own deer farms.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I believe the majority would come from poaching. That would be my reason for not purchasing one.
That's too bad though. I know some people that have fallen on hard times an were trying to sell much of what they own, including some racks, to get by.
Again I wouldn't purchase one but thay are beautiful and I can see why someone might want to buy one
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

That's too bad imo, I think it only gives a reason for poacher to keep on poachin'.

And whoever buys it is going to say what? that he bought it and look like an idiot?

why would you even buy a rack?

I have offers from canadians to sell thier 100's of pounds of sheds.Knife makers use them for custom knife handles and Asians make a powder of them as an Aphrodisiac.
100's ofpounds of sheds... I can believe a guy saying he found a couple sheds but seriously... 100's of pounds??? are you kidding?

I canunderstand how a knife maker or aAsian storeowner might have em in bulk but... i dont believe, no matter how much walking around in jan/feb you do every year, that you can end up with 100's of pounds of it.
The only possible way i can see for someone to obtain 100's of pounds of shed (legally) is by owning a deer farm.And I dont know many people that own deer farms.
I DIDNT THINK THE CANIDIANS COULD SELL ANY KIND OF RACK OUTSIDE OF CANADA ... I THOUGHT IS WAS AGENST THE LAW AND US CUSTOMS WOULD SEIZE THEM COMING ACROSS THE BORDER?

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey DD, what size do they have to be?

There's a lady hunter on this board from Canada, that
asked me if I could sell them for her! I don't know the
laws on this.

Quick Reply: Selling racks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.