this is what i look..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"? >

Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"?

Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"?

I'm not going to touch that one since this is not the bowhunting forum. Someone else can give there take on it though.

And you don't need a peep sight and kisser button, one or the other will work. They basically serve the same purpose. You also need to install the peep sight correctly, which will require that you have proper form first.

You need to learn how to draw and hold the bow first, then make sure it fits you. After that you can set the peep sight height and everything else.

Paul
Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 AM

Don't overlook the obvious....site in the pins
Old 10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman

I am only afew years into bowand Itook a buck last year at 90 yards - within 2 inches to vitials.
*cough, as I spit coffee all over my monitor*

sorry, I know no one else wants to touch this one but I'm raising the bull$#!@ flag on this one. And if for some unknown reason it is true it's a shame. Even Chuck Adams or Miles Keller wouldn't shoot a deer at 90 yards with a bow and they make us all look like rookie archers. To take a half a$$ed chance at a deer at 90 yards hoping to just hit the thing is just senseless. I mean, as an archer it's your responsability to ensure a clean and ethical kill and no one is good enough to garauntee a perfect shot with a bow at 90 yards shooting broadheads. Heck, I even remember you saying you only use your .300 because it doesn't drop more than 2". I guess a bow that drops 10 feet at 90 yards is pretty close though.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

this really should be in the Bow Hunting Forums. But anyway, ill put my two cents worth in. If this is your first time ever with a bow, Id recomend, getting to know your equipment before shooting. Learn how everything works together. If you have multiple pins, remove all but one and start out with just one set at 10-15 yards, take it to a pro shop or indoor shooting range where you have no wind to compete with and have an avid archer help you with sighting in, practice your form, install a peep or kisser button, you can even install both, I use both for security reasons. And the most important lesson of all....PRACTICE....PRACTICE.....PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 AM

The key is you have to practice correctly. Practicing a lot and not knowing what you are doing will just reinforce bad habbits and make it much harder in the long run.

To begin with I would worry more about proper form and release than tuning. Some of the top archers have won awards with very out of tune bows. The reason they are so good is because they are consistant and confident. This does not apply to hunting though. You need a well tuned bow for a hunting set up. Do you plan on hunting, or just want to learn to shoot? My girlfriend has no desire to hunt, but she learned to shoot any way and is pretty good.

Please don't let any of what we are saying or talking about sway you from responding, we do want to help. From what I can tell in your profile you are young female looking to get into archery. We desperately need that in our sport.

Please respond and let us know what kind of bow you have and anything you might know about the set up. And do you know any other archers? How did you come to have the bow to begin with?

Paul