Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PARKING NEAR STAND

Old 10-01-2005, 08:16 PM

Default RE: PARKING NEAR STAND

Damn James...that sounds more like ambushing than hunting...

Need a passenger?

Tim
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Damn, I've always walked around a mile at the least from whatever vehicle I was using.

Then again, I'm much less experienced than most of you guys, being nineteen and all.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

FROM MY CABIN, I'M TRAVELLING DOWN AN OLD LOGGING ROAD THAT IS RARELY USED. A FEW WEEKENDS OUT OF THE YEAR. BUT DEERDON'T JUST SIT IN THAT AREA, THEY MUST KNOW VEHICLES AREN'T A THREAT.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:08 AM

Parked the truck yesterday walked 75 yrds to my stand had a momma and 2 little ones at 8am . 1 was a button buck . Went back in the afternoon and swa 2 more doe , all 74 yrds from my truck . Like it was stated earlier depends if you are driving into a field and parking by your stand or walkin in from the road . Doesnt have to be that far for the later JMHO
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ChasintheTrophys

Parked the truck yesterday walked 75 yrds to my stand had a momma and 2 little ones at 8am . 1 was a button buck . Went back in the afternoon and swa 2 more doe , all 74 yrds from my truck . Like it was stated earlier depends if you are driving into a field and parking by your stand or walkin in from the road . Doesnt have to be that far for the later JMHO

Chasin,one of the biggest 8pt I have shot is whenI was in the prone position in thebed of themy truck with the tail gate down.

It was in November after a good rain and could find good deer tracks across the logging roads. I came upon a real busy deer crossing on the road, I pulled up about 50yds and parked on the side of the road, God and Behold, about an1-1/2hrs later, three does crossed in the same place andabout 10mins later this massive 8pt came to the edge of the road real cautious and looking to both sides before he decided to cross, before he got to the middle of the road, I dropped him like a ton of bricks.
You just have to be in the right place at the right time, butyou have to know how to find where the deer are . A man can sit in a deer stand for 3-4 days and not see 1 single deer. I believe in finding the deer and not waiting for it to find me.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ambushing is just what it is. Not much different than ambush from a tree stand. The prairie deer hang out in the river breaks during the day but deer chow is scarce down in the breaks so every evening they come up on the grain and hay fields to feed. You might have to wait during a few morning and evening sesssions if you want a big buck as they often wait until after dark to come up to feed. Given time though, they have to come up to feed or breed. Its easy hunting. They deer population at this time it quite high in our area.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 PM

I drive my Atv under my stand everytime I hunt. I still see deer all the time. It keeps down on scent and I go in early to my stand so it doesn't effect any deer coming in the future. Funny thing is I have had deer still walk almost under my stand near my Atv.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:58 PM

~1/4mi if it's warm, ~1/2mi if it's cold....
Old 10-06-2005, 07:41 AM

I park my dark green Jeep Wrangleror green ATV within a stone's throw of my stand. There is a thicket between the corn and the Jeep.

I always see deer. The direction they come from is always from the other side of the thicket. I had a funny experience last year tho. My green ATV had a flat tire so I drove my yellow one to the stand. I parked it 1/4 mile from the stand cause I knew it would stand out like a sore thumb. LOL......the squirrels up the road barked and fussed at that thing the entire time that I hunted, therefore alerting the deer to danger. I didn't see a thing that time..[&:]

Ihave also had a Mr Big Buck walk beside the Jeep and not even take a 2nd look BUT that was when he was on the trail of a doe in heat. He had his nose to the ground and I honestly don't think he ever saw it!! Unfortunately for me, I could not get a shot at him thinking that the 30-30 bullet would exit and hit the Jeep....
Old 10-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Similar thing happened to me....
A doe and 3 fawns walked between me and my car (about 10 yards), instead of where they were 'supposed' to be. Couldn't bring myself to shoot.

Quick Reply: PARKING NEAR STAND

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.