Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you consider to be a trophy??? >

What do you consider to be a trophy???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you consider to be a trophy???

Old 10-02-2002, 12:27 PM

Default What do you consider to be a trophy???

I am from Saskatchewan, love hunting, and as far as I am concerned, any animal I harvest/kill is a trophy....that being said, what do you consider to be a "trophy buck?" Is it the number of points, or the Boone and Crockett points, or the live weight...on this type of scale I would say anything in the 120's or better could be considered a trophy....some or many may disagree.....What do you think???

Be a stewart of the outdoors. Help to keep our heritage.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:09 PM

Default RE: What do you consider to be a trophy???

Any buck that I shoot is a trophy to me. Once I get more years under my belt I will probably be more picky.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

One that will put meat in my freezer for my family to eat! Thats a trophy to me!!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:51 PM

As I hunt 4 or 5 vastly different areas each year, with one area having mature bucks tip out at about 120lbs(Pine Barrens,NJ), and another area where they top out at about 240lbs(ME), the measure of a trophy to me is the age of the buck. In my eyes, a 3.5yr old scoring 150 is not the trophy a 6.5yr old scoroing 135 is. Mature bucks are hard to kill everywhere, on pressured property, but they all have different peak weights and antler size, so what I'm looking for depends on were I'm hunting. I want a mature buck, for wherever I'm hunting. Always thought it was silly to look for particular antler characteristics that men think are good for score, vs a big old 5.5 with deductions all over, that would whup his arse in the Nov woods.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 10-02-2002, 02:54 PM

At this point I'd be happy with any buck. In this area, most people consider a 10 point a trophy.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I agree a trophy is what you make it and too each his own. If you are truly proud of your harvest, you deserve a congrats no matter the size, sex or the weapon.

That being said with a number of years & deer under my belt, (and this only my idea)is a mature buck that would score 150 B&C min., I'll notch the tag. I like them all typical, mass, length, width, dark or light...but a nontypical with lots a trash is always a hard one not to have. My standards don't change whether bow, ML or rifle or as the season draws to a close.

Yes "I am a trophy hunter and I am Canadian"

Old 10-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me , a trophy is what you'd get for having the best bowling team. Any animal that I decide to harvest is considered a blessing and a life long memory. I keep every antler wether it's a spike or a big 10 pt. , each one brings back fond memories and great stories to share with anyone interested.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-02-2002, 06:41 PM

A trophy to me is a harvest. I just love harvesting an animal. Actually I just love being in the woods.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:12 PM

They are all trophies from the button buck you killed when you were fifteen, to the does you take when your in your 70's, Hopefully!

That said anything in the 120's is probably getting a serious look this year, 140's im shooting. I've hunted deer for 16 yrs, ive never shot a doe its always been a buck. Ive got enough 6'ers to last me a lifetime. If I dont see what im looking for I will shoot a doe this year in the last couple days.

I've got a couple friends who have never taken a deer, im hoping we can get them a couple trophies this year!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

They're all nice when you shoot em. I make a trophy out of anything I can fasten to a fryin pan.
Kiddin aside I'll shoot any buck but a if I get another mounted it'll have to be 160 or better. It's just harder to come across mountin money these days.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html

Quick Reply: What do you consider to be a trophy???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.