Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

have you ever ??

Old 10-01-2002, 11:30 PM

Default have you ever ??

taken a buck just to see a better one later?? about 10 years ago, I shot a small buck ,just to turn and see a monster that hadnt come out of the brush yet. Im still sick every time I think about it. he was easily a 165 to 170 buck .I have since learned ,if you want a big boy, pass on the small ones..
Old 10-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: have you ever ??

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
taken a buck just to see a better one later?? about 10 years ago, I shot a small buck ,just to turn and see a monster that hadnt come out of the brush yet. Im still sick every time I think about it. he was easily a 165 to 170 buck .I have since learned ,if you want a big boy, pass on the small ones..
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Yup. I have lain awake many an hour wondering what if...

The thing that makes it so awful as that when you tell this kind of story to folks, you see the deer clearly and it is very impressive to you, but they don't. So its like nothing to them.

I just let it go. I'm glad I had the chance, and besides, there is a &quot;next time.&quot;

(I read an article once about a guy who says he's seen big bucks actually pushing does out in front of him. I've seen the big boys holding back, but never actually pushing other deer in front. Some &quot;defenseless&quot; animals we're hunting...)

Edited by - Swampmonster on 10/02/2002 08:00:33
Old 10-02-2002, 07:31 AM

Default RE: have you ever ??

I think it's very important to have a game plan on what you want to do BEFORE even heading out into the woods. If you plan on taking the first animal that provides a shot, you shouldn't feel slighted if a monster walks out of the brush while you are dressing out the spike.
However, if you plan on taking a trophy, you also shouldn't feel bad if you pass on three or four smaller deer and don't get a shot at the big boy.
Either way, you've accomplished the mission you've set out to do. Don't worry about the &quot;what ifs&quot;. You'll drive yourself crazy. If you have a plan and follow it, you will eliminate any hesitation or worries when crunch time comes.

ALWAYS CALL YOUR SHOT.