Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hogs and Whitetails

Old 09-26-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Hogs and Whitetails

Over the past couple of seasons, our deer lease has acquired a nice hog population. Problem is now, they seem overpopulated - rooting and eating up food plots, corn, etc. Would like to kill several before season, but really hate to bring a bunch of shooting activity right before or during bow season...or before gun season for that matter. Anyone run into this problem? What do the hogs do to the whitetail activity? I assume the risk of walking up on a group of pigs - what's the risk of being charged? Kind of a concern, especially before and after shooting light.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hogs and Whitetails

Like I mentioned in the Hog Forum. Find bow hunters
to take as many as they can!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

where is your lease? My dad won't shut up about how he wants to stick a hog, I'll send him down with his bow and he can take a few for ya. I wouldnt mind some fresh bacon when he gets back
Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 AM

I have hunted places with both hogs and Deer. . . not a big issue from my chair. . .when a pig come out he gets it, when a Deer comes out the he or she gets it.I have noticed that the Deer will give hogs there space but the hogs won't be everywhere at one time. Everyone moves around.It was a stnding rule at the last lease I had, if you see a hog. . . .please shoot it, they taste good but are pests too.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Yeah let me know were you lease is at. I would have no problem coming donw there and taking a few of them with a bow.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Build 6 or 8 hog traps and catch them. They will populate to the point they eat all of the deer foods available. A hog will eat dang near anything. You could always get someone with a few hog dogs to come in and catch them, but I would get rid of all I could.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:04 PM

I second the traps. I know a couple people who trap them. If you are starting to have problems, you better act now. A sow can have A LOT more pigs than a deer can fawns.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Build 6 or 8 hog traps and catch them. They will populate to the point they eat all of the deer foods available. A hog will eat dang near anything. You could always get someone with a few hog dogs to come in and catch them, but I would get rid of all I could.
yup that'll work but remember you have to go out there still and shoot them and take them out or feed them.

or you could invite a few of us there and take some out.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM

thanks for the input! makes sense to take some bowhunters out for an extermination - might take a little longer, but it will be fun - i'll have to get some'hog' arrows. I hate to lose thos CE 300's with broadheads....then again, i guess i won't if i shoot straight.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: treblig

thanks for the input! makes sense to take some bowhunters out for an extermination - might take a little longer, but it will be fun - i'll have to get some'hog' arrows. I hate to lose thos CE 300's with broadheads....then again, i guess i won't if i shoot straight.

Land Shark's by Simmon's!

Quick Reply: Hogs and Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.