Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT? >

ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

Old 10-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Default ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

How many members out there will remain in thier stand/hunting area trough out the day, rather than coming back to camp. If so have you got better results.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-01-2002, 08:24 PM

Default RE: ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

in the first three days of my only full wekk off. the " piss and vinager " is flowing strong. so i stay in the woods all day. depending if the tem is perfect. ( last yeat 1st day for me it got to aout 65 ).
as the week ends. i start to stalk mostly and meet my father out at the truck for lunch then back into the woods the rest of the day.
since i hunt in public lands there are more things invovled. pressure from other hunters etc. i find that i see more between sunrise and about 11:30am.

Old 10-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure people who hunt all day see more deer. More hours in the stand equals seeing more deer. Sittin all day is hard for me to do. I usually get ansy after about 2 hours at a time. But if you do sit all day, pack water, snacks, and a lunch. And maybe a book or something...maybe it's cause I'm a young Generation-X'er, but I usually don't sit for more then a few hours at a time.

My mind belongs to my work...
My heart belongs to my family...

But my soul...belongs to the woods.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:54 PM

I have been known to hunt from sun up till sun down but it all depends on the hunting and deer movement. let me tell ya, its hard to stay put with no movement, it makes for a sore butt.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:57 AM

I sit all day in my stand and I love it! It's really not that hard for me to do. I just make sure that I have enough food, water, and equipment packed.

What Froman said is true. The longer you stay in your stand, the better your chances are of seeing deer. Last year was my first year hunting, and I saw more deer than some of the more seasoned members of camp who decided to come out for a few hours.

Even though it's not difficult for me, I'd still have to say that it's not the easiest thing to do. Being mentally ready is just as important as being physically ready. You have stay on your toes in case a deer decides to pop up in your area. And I really don't think being a Gen-X'er has anything to do with it. I'm 26 and I can't think of a reason why someone wouldn't want to sit all day. Being out there definitely recharges my batteries.

So to answer your question, do I think all day hunts are worth it? Most definitely! More chances at seeing deer and piece of mind. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-02-2002, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt all day, dark to dark, sometimes day after day for a week at a stretch. I've even done it two weeks in a row. Last year, I was so sick of hunting (oooh! Feels yucky to say it. I'm expectin' lightening bolts and stuff over here. Sacrilege.) that I could not imagine getting eager to enter the woods again. But all season I saw tons of deer (most not keepers) while my buddies whined about how the hot weather had made 'em bed down.

Take what you need to be comfortable and sit still like a tree. In my opinion it is very easy to sit still. You just need to allow your body to go through an adjustment period of about a half hour or so of total stillness. Then, you start losing the body and all of your senses are free to do some real hunting.

Edited by - Swampmonster on 10/02/2002 07:24:36
Old 10-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sit all day long and so does my wife. We just bring books or whatever to keep our minds active. Heck, this fall I'm taking my Gameboy with me with the volume down. Nothing like getting in some serious hours of gaming while waiting for a deer to walk by.

The key is to do the time like they say. You probably won't see a shooter by camp (unless you're camp is near your hunting spot) so you do the math. I see a lot of deer between 11 am and 2 pm where we hunt and it gets dark around 6 pm so we just sit still. Plus we hike in about a mile and a half to our spot and once we're there we don't leave unless there's a d*ck in the dirt.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:32 AM

It can be very worth it. Actualy more trophy bucks have been taken in the afternoon than in the morning or evening. If you are hunting does it probaly wouldnt be as well worth it.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:26 AM

Very hard for me to do it. I get antsy like FroMan said. I've never actually sat an entire day in one stand. When I'm hunting our farms, I'll go back to the truck for a lunch break then go to another stand for the afternoon. Sometimes I might leave that farm and go to the other farm for the rest of the day. Splitting it up like that seems to work best for me.

-Mike

Old 10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Even though it's not difficult for me, I'd still have to say that it's not the easiest thing to do. Being mentally ready is just as important as being physically ready. You have stay on your toes in case a deer decides to pop up in your area. And I really don't think being a Gen-X'er has anything to do with it. I'm 26 and I can't think of a reason why someone wouldn't want to sit all day. Being out there definitely recharges my batteries. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Well said. I spend the whole year looking forward to deer hunting. There is very little I would rather be doing. As for the comment on the sore butt - absolutely true. By the end of the season I need a vaction - the boss and the boss at home offer no sympathy!

Quick Reply: ALL DAY HUNTS, IS IT WORTH IT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.