Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

being married and hunting

Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Default RE: being married and hunting

I guess im another lucky one, when my wife and i staarted dating 17 yrs ago she had no problem withh me hunting, she USED to go out with me. she loves to fish, but know that we have four kids she doesnt go out hunting with me, maybe when kids are older she will go bk out into woods with me.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife hunts and fishes with me 95 percent of the time. She is a GEM. I am a lucky man. She is a farm girl who grew up hunting and shooting.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 AM

Default RE: Those with fiancees beware!

Men need to think before they get involved. If she doesn't like hunting find out before hand. If she hates it, its your decision - relationship or hunting. There are alot more women who enjoy hunting than there used to be. If you get burned apparently you didn't take time toget her opinion. As far as planning excusses, women are no worse than men.A little respect goes along way. Don't turn into a jerk and life can be great. Don't exclude her or blow her off. Not all women OR men are created equal. We are who we are, and should do what we love. Just look before you jump! Hunting is a great way to spend time together and for family bonding. If your spouse doesn't hunt, help the embrace what they love. Good Luck. And Happy Hunting!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 AM

When I got married I did not hunt and had never hunted in my life. She comes from a hunting family and that is how i got into it. My wife does not hunt and was not overly thrilled when i started to get involved with it. When we started to have kids I basically gave up all other pursuits (fishing,downhill skiing,golfing) so I could devote what free time I do have to hunting. Now it is just my family,my job, and hunting and i could not be happier. She gripes sometimes but overall she knows how important it is to me. In fact we just had another baby in May and she did not complain when I took off for a week to Montana to hunt.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM

My wifes father has hunted her entire life so that makes it easy for me to get away with it. Additionally she is big into horses so fair is fair in our relationship!!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey man you gotta have your away time... if you don't hunt, you'll do something else.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Gotta say I am one of the lucky ones also. My wife hunts and fishes almost as much as I do. As a matter of fact, I gotta get changed and head for the stand with her to video her deer hunt tonight.
Keep looking, you'll find one. But be sure you let her know up front about your love for the outdoors, if she doesn't like it, get rid of her asap.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM

I have this covered easily. I work nights at the nursing home, and hunt while my wife is at work during the day. Perfect setup! I mean, how much sleep do you really need?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: bullcan

...When we started to have kids I basically gave up all other pursuits (fishing,downhill skiing,golfing) so I could devote what free time I do have to hunting. Now it is just my family,my job, and hunting and i could not be happier. ....
I want to repeat this wideom from bullcan. When you get married, and esepecially when you have kids, something has to give, if you put your family at the highest priority. My wife does not object to hunting and fishing. She loves to fish, but doesn't like gun sports. So far my two daughters are luke warm on fishing (it's OK, but they don't love it), and have no interest in gun sports. Oh well. On the other hand, they all love the salmon, venison and moose meat I bring home so they don't give me grief about the moderate amount of fishing and hunting I do without them. But I personally would (and have) gladly given up hunting and fishing time to participate in activities that my family does like to do - for example, xc skiing, hiking, general boating/camping. It's just more important to me to spend time doing what we all enjoy as a group than doing what I happen to like as an individual. The kids are teenagers now and are already separating from family activities. This leaves me more flexibility for individual pursuits, but makes me nostalgic for the days when we did more stuff together even though it required compromises/sacrifices on my part.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:22 PM

I am getting a divorce right now. My soon to be ex-wife would let me hunt but that is now one of the things she hated was me going hunting. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Screw that. Now I got me a new woman thatgoes hunting with me. It will be great whenI am completely free.