Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where's the buck(s)

Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default where's the buck(s)

So this is my first year "Hunting". i'm an expierenced shooter , just never hunted anything , i've been planning this for a few years but due to time restraints i never got the chance , now this year i moved to a new location in what we call "the sticks" and i have about 30 acres of private hunting land here.

i've seen many deer , i see them either in the morning or at night fall...either way , there's about 3 does and about4 fawns , but i have yet to discover a buck in the area. i know he's here as my wife works a the gas station that's about 100 yards from my house she one night about 6 weeks ago took the trash out to the container wich is behind the store in a caged area where it's obviously dark, she heard some snorting and some stomping looked up and there was a "deer with horns" as she called it.

so i know he's here...but have no idea on the size of him.

i know where the does and fawn trails are as they have been the same for the past 3 months...the enter the area at a spot and go back in teh woods at the same spot sometimes they walk the opposite way , but it's always along the same path.

The Area from my house to the tree stand is about 800 yards and from my house to the old building is about 300-400 yards.

would the buck travel along the doe path or maybe along the tree line. ?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: where's the buck(s)

id bet theres ALOTmore deer in your area then what youve seen....just my guess...dont know about the deer population densitys in your area....get out there and look for buck sign...rubs...scrapes...ect....dont know much about deer in SC but my bucks are rubbing, scraping and starting to fight....nows the time to do the last minute preseason scouting up here atleast....id like to give you more info but i dont know enough about your land and how things are down there......but just looking from your window or the road isnt the way to scout....get out there and sneak around...look for sign......good luck....theres bound to be a buck around if theres does...probably more then one buck...and more deer then youve seen period.....when you see deer get the binocs or spotting scope out....youll be surprised when you see a rack on their heads.....you could be seeing bucks every day and not know it
Old 09-25-2005, 02:51 AM

Wait till the rut starts . If you know where the does are , thats where he'll be , i gaurantee it ! Good luck .
Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the treeline might be a good bet. I have found on many occasions that bucks will mirror what the does do. Look for a faint, alternate trail that parallels the doe trail.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:31 PM

I agree with everything said already. I'm sure there are plenty more deer then you are seeing. You could probably find a concentration of sign and get a trail camera out there. They are great tools to help you see what is in your hunting area.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: antlergetter

trail camera out there.
well that's gonna have to wait till later...i can't buy everything at one time... so i guess this year i will have to throw the dice a bit and hope for a bit of luck to tag along with me.

i went scouting again tonight , i only seen 2 does this time...and only at the old building , nothing seen at the other side, however i seen both does coming out of the woods when i stepped out of my back door... i saw them so i grabbed the bino's to take a look... so i might just ran a little late and they might have alreaedy crossed over the backside of the field.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Might sound crazy, but sitting on top of the trash container might pay off.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well i went out and looked for some tracks, scrapes etc. but none found other then some old marks i think left from last year...

so i decided to put up my cam where i know the does are and put some "Buck Snort" on the trees to see what will get the samera's attention during the night...

lets hope for the best...