Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Michigan Youth Hunt

Old 09-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Michigan Youth Hunt

Well it's 4:53 a.m., getting ready to take a youth hunter on his first deer hunt. It's clear and cold, about 40 deg. Should be a great day of hunting, I seen a 6 point and a spike last night scouting.I will post the results of our hunt later today or tommarrow.

There is a youth firearm deer season on September 24-25, 2005 on all lands in Michigan. Youths 12-16 years of age may take one deer during this special two-day season or one antlerless deer if the youth obtained an antlerless license or possesses a DMU permit. Youths 12 and 13 years of age cannot hunt deer with a firearm and are restricted to archery-only hunting.

A deer license authorizing the youth to take a deer with a firearm (regular, combination,) including antlerless license, or DMA permits, may be used if issued for the area/land upon which hunting. The youth must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older. An adult accompanying a youth firearm deer hunter cannot possess or carry a firearm or bow and arrow and does not need a deer hunting license. Hunters may not use bait during this season. All youth hunters are required to wear Hunter Orange

Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan Youth Hunt

Morning update - Seen 36 deer total and a small spike. Will try again later today!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:03 PM

I was suppose to go up there yesterday and hunt these 2 days but I came down sick and am watching from the sidelines. Good luck jci.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Evening brings another 14 does, for a day total of 50 deer and only one Buck! (spike) One day left, well atleast we are seeing plenety of deer and enjoying each others company.....
Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 AM

jci63
That's a great thing your doing for the kid's. We had a a youth pheasant day here in N.Y. the state stocks the birds and dog handlers like me bring the kid's out and hunt them up. Numbers are down though last yr. we had 50 kid's this yr. was 38 [].
Old 09-25-2005, 11:58 AM

Good luck. youth weekend here is in nov. I'll be taking my oldest out.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

This evening brings rain on& off, we see7 deer stalking and one spike. We get to our other spot and sit, about 45 minutes later a doe comes out. Then a few turkeys, we watch them for about 30 minutes or so. Then an 8 point walks out the woods, preatty nice 8 point for the area we are hunting. My youth hunter shoots and drills em right in the heart! Goeas about 50 yards and thats all folks!

Hunted hard for those two days, caught a cold from all the walking and getting my feet wet. But to see the look on that young mans face is, so the say "priceless" Memories he will remember for the rest of his life. Last year I took him and he got a 6 point, one luckey hunter.

Good luck to all the others who are talking the time out, to share a unique oppertunity with a youth hunter.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:46 PM

so where's the pic. of this young man and his trophy? jci63, what part of MI you hunting? I'm from allegan, mi(just north of kalamazoo) and wish iwas back there to hunt, the weather down here in NC sucks it's been like 90 degrees out for bow season down here, so i'm just waiting for it to cool down some before i head out.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MarineStud

so where's the pic. of this young man and his trophy? jci63, what part of MI you hunting? I'm from allegan, mi(just north of kalamazoo) and wish iwas back there to hunt, the weather down here in NC sucks it's been like 90 degrees out for bow season down here, so i'm just waiting for it to cool down some before i head out.
Still working on getting the pic's back. We were hunting in Alanson in emmet county, in northern lower michigan. Good luckon your season this year, it will cool down sooner or later for you!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hope the youngster gets his first kill..nothing like that first kill