Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 GPS - Garmin eTrex or Magellan eXplorist 100 >

GPS - Garmin eTrex or Magellan eXplorist 100

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GPS - Garmin eTrex or Magellan eXplorist 100

Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default GPS - Garmin eTrex or Magellan eXplorist 100

Am thinking about entering the 21st century in my hunting toys, I don't need anything really fancy, and both of these units seem reasonably priced. Looking for feedback from anyone that owns either of these units. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS - Garmin eTrex or Magellan eXplorist 100

Go with the Garmin Etrex, without a doubt...
Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Spike

I have an Garmin etrex summit. It's one of the cheapest units butI like it a lot. The unit has an electronic compass in it. When your using it to direct you to a particular spot, the compasskeeps the arrow pointing in the right direction even when it might not be getting a good GPS signal. Then when it gets a signal again it will make whatever smallcorrection may be necessary. That's a huge advantage. My old Magellan unit would sometimes point one way and then after I had walked a block or two, the arrow would start flipping back and forth and all the sudden its telling me my stand is the opposite direction. I hated that thing. So, whatever brand you get, I encourage you to consider one that has an electronic compass.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the eTrex Legend and really like it. The whole eTrex line is very simple to use and they offer a ton of varieties for any price range you are looking at. They also have alot of options for downloading maps, more for fishing, but still a nice feature.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the etrex vista (similar to the legend) and have topo maps loaded into it. It shows all the roads with names, lakes and ponds, riversand all the info on the topo maps. It is awsome. I still hunt and navigate the old fashon way and use the etrex as a form of insurance. I carry spare batterys and feel that the unit allows me to stay in the woods longer because I always know exactly where I am. Kill an animal and you can set the waypoint, leave it and get help to drag it out. I have owned 2 units the first was Lawrance and now garmin. I think the garmin is the best.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I've heard garmin makes a better unit, but I wanted the info from those that know. Good luck this season.