Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in the rain

This weekend is Michigan's junior deer hunt and there are very few people in the woods, so i got a prime spot and now i hear its going to rain all weekend. this is one of my best chances of getting a deer and now the weather is bad, do u guys have any tips for hunting in the rain or any suggestions on where to hunt, i was also wondering if grunt calls do any good in the early season, thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

Make sure you have good rain gear. It is the best way to keep you on the stand, or in the woods.

Personally, I love hunting in the rain. Don't think that deer will not move in the stuff, because they will. I wouldn't resort to calls early on in the hunt, but it could be an option to explore.

Just keep at it, and don't get wet feet.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Periods of rain areoften my favorite. I spend virtually all my time still hunting. I would recomend getting out of the stand and slowly stalking. Deer movement is definetly reduced during times of rain. However, there is no reason why you can't move to them.I would look at this as an opportunity, not a hardship.

BTW...the buck you see on the left under my name was taken while still hunting in the rain.....
Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM

Hunt and hunt hard if its a light rain the deer will be will be moving I read an artical in a mag that said the big bucks will move more on a rainy day than a clear warm day. If its a heavy rain I would stay home. But definetaly(sp?) have some decent/quiet rain gear. Good Luck!!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

When raining I typically prefer to hunt out of a pop-up ground blind.A good percentageof hunting, in my opinion, is having the mental ability to stay on stand for a long period of time. Being wet or having wet equipment can puta serious damper on this. Hunting out of this type of ground blind makes it easy to sit through rainy days.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Buy some finger cots to put over the muzzle to keep
the rain out. You can shoot with it on.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said, it depends on how hard it rains. Light rain is not a factor to the deer. They will often move more during a light/steady rain.

They key is to stay comfortable and stay as long as possible in the woods. One other comment...I have noticed that deer will move as soon as heavy rain lets up. If it has been raining hard for a day or two, I will be back hunting (if I'm not already there) just as soon as it begins to let up. It seems that every deer in the woods is up and moving. It is definitely one of my favorite times to be in the deer woods.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

A couple years ago an in law bought me one of those umbrellas made for hunting that hang above you in the tree. I instantly thought it was stupid and I would never use it, but after a long stretch of rain that year I got it out and tried it. It was fantastic and I take it if there is even a chance of rain. They are fairly cheap, I think about $25 at cabelas, and are very easy and quiet to put up. Try it I'm sure you will like it.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

When raining I typically prefer to hunt out of a pop-up ground blind. A good percentage of hunting, in my opinion, is having the mental ability to stay on stand for a long period of time. Being wet or having wet equipment can put a serious damper on this. Hunting out of this type of ground blind makes it easy to sit through rainy days.
I dislike hunting on rainy days , but when I do this is how I do it too .
Old 09-22-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm from Florida originally, and most of the season is over 80 degrees in the midday. Rain is a blessing from God for us. Unless it's getting really thick, trust that the deer will move. You can, like others have said, move really quietly in a good rain, not to mention the noise of the rain falling will mask any sounds you actually do make. Also, the rain tends to kill some of the smell you give off. Win-win. If it gets really heavy, find some thick stuff that you'd get into if you had to be outside in the rain, and push through it real slow. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.