Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ARE WE BECOMING LAZY HUNTERS?

Old 10-01-2002, 12:12 AM

Default ARE WE BECOMING LAZY HUNTERS?

Do you feel that the industry has spoiled us? In effect making hunting easier for us by not having to use the skills of our fore fathers. Has Hunting become less challenging?

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ARE WE BECOMING LAZY HUNTERS?

I think hunting can be as challenging as you make it.The tools and gadgets are out there for the people that want to take advantage of them.Personally,I don't use them.I have binoc's,a compass,a scoped rifle-that's about as hi-tech as it gets for me.Most of my hunting is with recurves,longbows and wood arrows.It's all about what you're willing to put into it and what you want to get out of the experience.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:04 AM

When they invent a way to beam someone into their stand, then I'll say we are/have become lazy hunters. All that other jazz is just utilizing tools of the trade. It's just like changing a car tire. You can get it off with a open end wrench or an airgun.... Your choice, but I'll bet you (or anyone for that matter) would opt for the easier method.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)
Old 10-01-2002, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

The ultimate in laziness to me is ATV's. Do not get me wrong, if you are handicapped or you are setting stands that is one thing, or if it is a couple of miles to your stand I can see it, but to ride an ATV to within 100 yards of your stand or closer is in my book lazy. I am 48 years old and this year my closest stand is about 400 yards from where I will park my truck, my furthest stand is about a mile. To me the further my vehicle is away from my stand the better my odds of busting a deer. I will drive my truck into a field to retrieve a kill, but that is it.

I beleive that a lot of folks do use to many gadgets trying to make up for their lack of outdoors skills, 30 years ago with no camo, scents, calls or cover up scents we killed plenty of deer, I have stepped into a few of the new gadgets, I do use a range finder for bow hunting and do use deer calls, heck I just got my first scoped gun, but to be honest I would not have gotten the scope, but the gun already had it.

Can the industry spoil us? Yes if we let it, but I still feel that the hunter who knows his quarry and knows how to play the wind will still kill more deer than any hunter that has all the bells and whistles and does not really understand his prey.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-01-2002, 09:40 AM

I am with Taz on the ATV issue. Unless they are necessary i would not use them myself. To me hunting is just that -you hunt. Driving around to stands or where ever on an ATV is not hunting to me, half the fun is getting there and seeing what pops out of the brush on the way. I want to experiance every thing about the hunt, and to me personally that would take something from my hunting experiance. Plus when i think of some people i know running the woods on 4-wheelers it just puts me in mind of road hunting --which i absolutely refuse to do. Thats not hunting in my opinon.

Any way i think with all of todays gadgets most people spend more time on preperation to hunt or maintaining their high tech equitment. And some people spend more time actually getting ready to hunt, shopping for the right gear, weapons, ect...than they actually do on the actual hunt.

I guess its what you love about the hunt most to each person. I my self do not wish to waste time on any thing that will actually take something from the enjoyment of the actual hunt. I want to spend my time in the woods not getting ready to go. Plus i think to some people it`s more about showing off their new camo, high tech equitment, atv`s or weapons ect...some people would rather revel in the talk of this stuff than to actually be in the woods.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:11 PM

I agree on the atv issue. I do not own one, nor do I use one. However, when I lived up in Alaska, there was certainly a need for one because often times, you must go into the woods for 9, 10, or more miles. An ATV is essential. Especially when you need to lug out 1000 pounds of moose.

however, let's not overlook the over-complicating of game laws. First you must find a place to hunt. then, there hopefully are deer there. then, many places have restrictions on the size of the deer you can harvest. So, When a deer does walk by, it would be nice to ensure the harvest of that animal, cause a lot ofpeople will not get a second chance in that season.

So use 'em if you want. Don't use 'em if you want. it is all the same to me.

Beej

Old 10-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a great subject which requires more than a yes or no answer. I think TAZ and Annie were right on target. I don't think it makes us lazy hunters. You still have to do your scouting, setup your strategy etc, but what today's hunter (may) do that other hunters in the past didn't do, is to rely on all the new technology that has appeared on the hunting scene in the last few yrs or so. I'm not talking about scopes, GPS systems, and all the new advances in rifles, bows and muzzleloadeers. Because Yes, years ago, folks just grabbed their trusty rifle, threw on a wool jacket and went into the woods. Hunters today need their scent eliminators, attractant scents, scent-Lock suits, field-cams, off-road vehicles, rattling bags, grunt tubes that are designed to call any age or size deer etc. I think some marketing folks are making a "killing" from the hunters of today. I am certainly not saying not to use these items, or that they don't work, but all in all, it comes down to woodsmanship and knowledge of deer that will make you a successful hunter year after year. It is certainly OK to use some or all of these things, but don't ever use it as a substitute. It's hard enough for me to shoot a deer every year here in New England (and I don't), and I honestly feel that relying on these products goes against how I was brought up to be a hunter. Give me someone that knows the woods, understands the lifestyle and patterns of a deer, and has the determination to hunt long and hard, and I'll show you a hunter. It's not the number of deer you have shot, or how many new high-tech products you use, it's how you use what you have learned over the years that makes you a good hunter.

Old 10-01-2002, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taz you do ride in your truck to where your going to hunt don't you so I guess were both lazy . I get there on the atv and you in your truck. Personally I have never sat in a treestand in my life I was saving that until I got to old to still hunt . What weight cushion do you need for your treestand so as not to incur sores on the backside ,all this info is for later of course ,I'm only 65 .Everyone hunts different ,who are we to judge as long as they are legal .
Old 10-01-2002, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Personally I have never sat in a treestand in my life I was saving that until I got to old to still hunt.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Consider trying it. I prefer to still hunt also. But I've used my stand many times. I think it has a place. Stand hunting is not a thing to do just because you're lazy. It is a tool you use when still hunting is not feasible (for whatever reason). I do both, enjoy them both, though enjoying a sunrise high up in a treestand is a wonderful thing.

Old 10-01-2002, 05:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>The ultimate in laziness to me is ATV's. Do not get me wrong, if you are handicapped or you are setting stands that is one thing, or if it is a couple of miles to your stand I can see it, but to ride an ATV to within 100 yards of your stand or closer is in my book lazy.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I totally agree with above, ATV's have there place getting deer out, setting stands before season, handicapped but all to often I see LAZY hunter using them to get to stands and ABUSE as far as laws and regulations go.
What bothers me most is ATV users lack of respect to other hunters.

A few years back I was in stand during Ohio rut and had huge mature 8pt coming down trail following two doe’s that just passed me coming straight to me at 3pm. As this was happening an ATV user decided he was going to scout for deer sign by riding his ATV along same field edge I was hunting .Both doe’s and buck didn’t return.

Quick Reply: ARE WE BECOMING LAZY HUNTERS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.