Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting or not

Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 AM

Default baiting or not

can some one help me.will baiting area run the older/big buck off.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: baiting or not

I don't think it will run them off, but it can, and often does cause them to "go nocturnal".

Mature deer don't get that way by being stupid.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tex, I think the amount of scent or how much you disturb an area will be a bigger factor in running off mature bucks than the "bait" you use. I would also stay away from pouring big piles of bait, rather spreading it some so that they have to "graze" the area. "Grazing" forces them to stay in the area longer and then they become more comfortable there.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think uncle matt makes some very valid points on this subject. I hunt a very nice farm that at present has no food plots or crops that will hold deer on the property - resident deer so to speak. All our neighbors have beans, corn or both. Next year we have permission to plant a food plot of choice - Yippeee.

Anyway for now - we bait with corn and apples in various areas of farm to draw deer thru the farm. Key Points - Keep the bait away from stands - 75-100 yrds or More. Watch for prevailing winds, string it out over 20-30' path, spread it out.This keeps it dry and mould free in addtion to as UM stated the deer will graze the area alot longer.

Back on topic with the bait and bucks.
If you keep your bait away from stands - way away and DO NOT walk around or on top of bait after you put it out. Use binochs to check out the bait and whats going on. Stay away from it. Nice bucks will come in to bait IF you place it where they move and stay the hell away from it! If you put it out in large piles,close to stands FORGET IT everything will go nocturnal with exception of few fawns and dumb ass button bucks.

Now - we have one guy on our lease that puts his bags of corn out within 25yrds or less from stand and walks by it,around it every day - lookin at it,kickin it etc. etc. He rarely kills anything let alone a nice buck!

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Keep the bait away from stands - 75-100 yrds or More.
Is this for gun or bow? I could see where this would be good for a gun but not for a bow unless the deer are using the same trail to go to the bait. Am I wrong in my thinking? I say this because I have some corn on a game trail that leads down the mountain side and my stand is only 10 yards off the trail. (only climbing tree around).
Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres a baiting tip, Im not sure what or if your state regulates baiting, but in Wisconsin we have a 2 gallon limit per stand, per 40 acre parcel. Sometimes that is just about the right amount sometimes too much, I try to use a small to medium size coffee can size with corn in it, I do not place it in a pile i like to scatter it on the ground so the deer have to find it. I use it as i treat for the deer more than a bait. Please before placing out bait check you regualtions for baiting laws and restrictions or contact your local Dept of Games and Fisheries or DNR office.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:37 AM

put your camera up on the location, with my experience the bucks stayed in the area, but were only seem at night
Old 09-17-2005, 01:20 AM

heres one that was seem only at night,

Old 09-17-2005, 01:26 AM

heres one at the other end of the property, near the bait. he was killed the last day of the season, chasing does. where their was no bait

Quick Reply: baiting or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.