Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WHAT IS BLUE TONGUE?

Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default WHAT IS BLUE TONGUE?

IV'E SEEN A LITTLE ABOUT IT ON TV BUT WHAT IS IT AND WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP IT?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 PM

Default RE: WHAT IS BLUE TONGUE?

I believe you are refering to Epizooic Hemoragic Disease, or EHD. You cant stop it. Its carried by the black midge, or black fly, or gnat, depending on how "into" bugs you are. Deer contract it, and start showing signs right about this time of year. Swollen mucus membranes, ruptured tubercles in the lungs, bleeding, swollen tongue, unable to swallow, and usually found dying near water. Once they have it, its almost always not reversible in the wild.

The irony is...all you guys in here who clobber me because me and others raise captive reared whitetails, and tell me it should be illegal, etc etc? Many states have deer farmers who are trying to find antibiotics to administer to deer with EHD symptoms. IF they can survive, the offspring have a much less chance of gettin it. Plus, guys are breeding with EHD resistent stock from the south too.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting areas got hit hard by this back in the mid 90's. The local biologist estimated 1/3 - 1/2 of the deer population in the county,died from it. Found a lot of dead deer that year, more racks and skulls than shed antlers even. And vast majority of them were next to water.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 AM

All i know is that it kills alot of deer. One farmer got it on his land and they hauled over 40 whitetails out of his land.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

In southern Maryland, it killed about 80 percent of the deer about 5 years ago.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

that's some scarey stuff...i had NO clue it even existed.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to a guy here that has a deer farm.He said he'd brought in some deer from the north and the"no see um's"or sand gnats gave them the disease but the southen deer had built up an immunity.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

I talked to a guy here that has a deer farm.He said he'd brought in some deer from the north and the"no see um's"or sand gnats gave them the disease but the southen deer had built up an immunity.
No immunity in NC. We were hit about 5 years ago in the eastern part of the state. Estimates say we lost 20-25% of the deer herd in the affected area.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

DIAA Vet Pages - Blue Tongue
Bluetongue is a viral disease of sheep that is transmitted by biting ...
bluetongue virus (BLU) include sheep, goats, cattle, buffaloes, deer and antelopes. ...

http:/www.diaa.org/bluetng.htm
New Window-www.diaa.org/bluetng.htm][/url]Similar Sites-Archived
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kshunter

My hunting areas got hit hard by this back in the mid 90's. The local biologist estimated 1/3 - 1/2 of the deer population in the county,died from it. Found a lot of dead deer that year, more racks and skulls than shed antlers even. And vast majority of them were next to water.
They are often found near water. They are attempting to drink but cannot. I my animal biology is up to date, the throat passage is blocked by the tongue, which prohibit the animal from ingesting water.

Edit...nevermind....good ole Bill already made that clear....

Quick Reply: WHAT IS BLUE TONGUE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.