Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Rut

Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Spike

Default The Rut

I am new to this sport and I am very confused about the rut. It is my understanding that there are 3 basic phases of the rut, seeking, chasing and breeding. From what I've read the second full moon of the vernal (fall) equinox is the "rutting moon" and it is around that time the rut kicks in. So lets say the second full moon is Nov 16th, generically what part of the rut is going to start then, breeding? Assuming the breeding phase is the slowest period of the rut because the bucks are holed up with does does that mean the 2-4 weeks prior to that Nov 16 date is when all the seeking and chasing takes place?, or is that rutting moon when the seeking and chasing starts. When writers and other folks refer to being in the heart of the rut or "deep into the rut" what and when does that usually occur. I am getting set for a week long bow hunt in Virginia starting Oct 31st thru Nov 5th, is that "pre-rut" if we use the 16 Nov date as a benchmark. What can I expect to happen, where would you suggest I concentrate my efforts, bedding areas?, transition areas?, food sources. What frame of mind will the bucks be in? I realize I have blasted a lot out here but I am just trying to get a good grip on this whole rut thing. I am not stuck on dates, I am just using that 16 Nov as a place of reference, though it is close. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Rut

the week you mentioned should be a hot week for bucks to be moving. they should be cruising at all hours of the day. the does will be right on edge. with a few coming in. its a great week to hunt. i would set up in natural funnels from bedding to feed and vice versa . i like to hunt where the does are traveling. cuz as with us guys,where theres ladys the big boys show up sooner or later.