Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far.... >

Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far....

Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far....

We finally got to hit the new Cabelas in Fort Worth last weekend, since I was wanting a game cart to help pack in the corn to a distant feeder I can't drive to. We looked over all the digital game cams, and with gas being what it is and my tuition due, I couldn't see getting the $300 one I really wanted, so the wife suggested I spring for the $99 one with the $10 rebate. hey..she told me to spend it so why not!??

here are some pics. granted i have it set at low resolution, and this morning I set it to high to see how much harddrive it would use. 144 pics only took up 1.73 meg, so not bad so far. in one week I've gotten 382 pics with game in them. no false alarms, all had something in them, whether it was raccoons or birds or deer or hogs in a few cases. I have it set on 1 minute increments, i need to back that off and that would help. I figure at what it cost to get 24 pics developed, at 382 pics in one week it's paid for itself. thinking of getting another to set at the other feeder now.

not bad for my lil neck of the woods

Old 09-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far....

what kind of camera is it cuz i just bought the moultrie game tracker 100 digital for $100 and i was wonderin how good it is
Old 09-05-2005, 02:19 PM

Those are some good pics for being lo-res.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:05 PM

I have had a cheap $80 digital camera for two seasons now and it does everything I want it to do, plus I don't have to worry about someone stealing anexpensive camera.Goes thru batteries fairly quick but I just use rechargable batteries. It does not flash out very far at night but I can still make out what the animal is. Also last year when it gets below20 degrees the pictures are still readible but fuzzy.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Good pics and a great price.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:45 PM

It's a Wildview VGA Digital Scouting Camera, STC-TGL1. I just saw the Moultrie at WallyWorld for $100, and I think I'll get one of those as well. I worried about a $300 camera as well. This one has an internal 8mg hardd rive, or you can add a SD disc to boost it up. it uses 4 'C' batteries, and in two weeks everything is good, but then it's not super cold or anything. i figure i'll store it after the rut and it'll last better.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search&id=0033082417136a&a mp;navCount=2&podId=0033082&parentId=cat20 098&navAction=push&catalogCode=QS&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20098&has JS=true
it does have to be hooked to a computer to download. with the SD card i guess you could have two cards and take out the full one and implant the empty one to go home. This morning, i took the laptop, sat down by the camera and the read out said 145!!! and jsut from Saturday AM!

so y ou open her up, flip the switch to 'off' and plug in the USB cord, then plug it into the laptop. the laptop reads it as an external drive, and you just open up it's harddrive, i cut the whole folder out and place it in 'My Pictures' . that clears the harddrive. then, unhook the laptop, readjust for pictures and flip the swtich through test and to 'on', and close the door. gives me 1 minute to get out of the range.

the way i had it last week, the flash didn't light up the feeder area, so i moved it over and closer. you could see deer and hog, but not any antlers or whatnot.

i flipped to 'hi resolution' this morning..so i'm ancy to get out midweek and download tos ee what they look like!

you can tell between the pics how i moved it 90 degrees to the east and a bit closer, it was pointing due north in a few of those pics.

all in all i'm happy. i figure at $6.00 a roll to develop 24 pics, at 387 pics or so, that woulda been $95 or so dollars in developing, not to mention 16 rolls of film at what...$2-3 bucks a roll for the cheap stuff?

hope this helps someone thinking of a purchase. i'm glad my wife pushed me into it..wonder if i'll get pushed after i get the second one?!?!

KB
Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the tip! I just found it on Cabelas for $79.99 and bass pro matched it so I used some of my points on it and got it for $50! Those pics look really good I hope I get some soon!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

don`t get the moultrie gamespy, it is junk, it take great pics then you will get a bunch of white out pics... nothing in them
i got 58 pic on one time out and 27 were white.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Those look like pretty good quality pics for such a low cost camera! I just might have to look into that. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

i didnt get the gamespy i got the gamewatcher 100 so i would think they are different cameras but they could be the same i dont know.

Quick Reply: Cheap $99 Cabelas digital cam works pretty good thus far....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.