Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong? >

Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Old 09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Well i got kicked off my bowhunting team for callin a guy a poacher cause in his trial cam pics there was a feeder. I personally consider hunting over bait or a feeder is poachin, just like fenced hunts. Now mods/adm. this post was not a way to get back or anything so dont get your panties in a bunch i was just seein who else felt the same way i do.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

That is a very touchy subject... I my self do not hunt over a feeder or bait.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

O boy, here we go....I think it is no different then planting a food plot...You attract deer inthat way right?
So why is putting up a feeder and hunting them that way any difffernt. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:51 PM

I am not hot on the idea of feeders. Food plots I would do but that is the max I would ever do. If it is legal in your state then it is legal to. We might not like it but it is legal. Now if it is illegeal to do then that is awhole different manner.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just dont like it and think its poaching because. They get used to the fact that theres food in this specific part of the world. Its easy to get to so hey why dont we keep going back (in a deers mind). Now for the hunter. You set up your trail cam you know deer come there basically every day so you hang a stand or get about 200 or 300 yards away with a rifle and BAM BAMBI IS DEAD! Now that is not considered hunting to me its the opposite "poaching".
Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

It isn't legal to bait here , but you can plant a food plot of any size or hunt over food scented lures . I've used food scented attractants for years , and just planted a small batch of oats out back , so I can't logically bash baiting . I haven't found them to be all that successful thouigh , about 50-50 I'd say . Good enough for a meat hunter like me , but it's never coaxed in a trophy buck .
Old 09-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You keep using the word "poaching".The plain fact is that if it is legal to bait in your area it is "not poaching".If it is illegal than it is "poaching".The natural question then is-was the fellow that you called a poacher breaking any laws?I don't hunt over bait but I don't call anyone a poacher for hunting legally.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also don’t hunt over any feeder or bait. It’s illegal here. I don’t considered hunting over food plot that bad compared to using a feeder or block of salt. Baiting for deer is not hunting , but that’s my thoughts. To each his own.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't belive in planting food plots, bait OR feeders!! CWD was first found in Colorado in a game farm, where animals were in close proximity to each other. Many cases of CWD have come from areas where there are game farms. I belive that food plots, feeders, or bait have the same effect. It concentrates deer and other anmals into aspecific area all of the time. Add the humid climates in the Eastern US, and you have a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Of course, being from a state with 90% public land, and not having the opportunity to bait, plant food plots, or put up feeders, I see things a lot differently than other people do. I also think that deer coming into farmers fields to eat the crops, etc, have LESS of an effect as far as disease spread is concerned, because deer are not confined into such a small area, and can spread out as they wish, not be forced into a specific spot on the map. So, I have no problem with hunting on farmland and such, providing the farm land is there for other reasons. Even if people leave parts of the original habitat for cover for wildlife, etc, it is ok with me, providing there is nothing specifically brought in that was not part of the original landscape.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:17 PM

I think it it taking the easy way out. If you hunt a buck in an area where there are no crops, feeders, or bait, and you are smart or lucky enough to take him then you have accomplished a great feat. But, if you were to take the same buck under the above conditions: crops, bait, feeder then it would be much easier, besides the luck factor. It is illegal in VA to bait deer, but some states allow it. We can plant food plots though.

I think there is a fine line between food plots and bait piles or stations. First, planted crops can and do fail, period! Bait stations are dependent upon someone putting the food out. Most of the time it is there for a limited amount of time, so it feeds the deer herd on a limited basis. Mostly to draw them into a small area. Food plots on the other hand, generally feed the deer for a much longer period of time. So before and after the season the deer continue to reap the benefits. And, are not confined to a small area.

I know there are those of you that have a feeding system year-round, but it still draws deer to a small area. And, are the feeders set on a timer? If they are, that further conditions the deer to come to the feeders at a certain time or the feed will be consumed by other deer and wildlife.

Each to their own, if it is legal in your neck of the woods. I will be much more proud to shoot a deer under natural conditions, as apposed to baiting!

Quick Reply: Who thinks hunting over feeders or bait is wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.