Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Heading to Cody, WY in November! >

Heading to Cody, WY in November!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heading to Cody, WY in November!

Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Heading to Cody, WY in November!

I posted this on the bowhunting forum, but no one responded. Figured I'd try it here...

Hey All,

On a whim, two buddies and I put in for some surplus Wyoming deer tags in area F near the city of Cody, WY. We were disappointed to be denied IA tags this fall and decided to try something completely new. We're going out there completely foreign to the area.

There are two special permission areas near Cody; one is called the Heart Mountain Management Area (just north of Cody), and the other is called Carter Moutain Management Area (just south of Cody).

http://gf.state.wy.us//wildlife/access/plpw/management/hunter_mgmt.asp

I was wondering if any of you all have any knowledge of those areas or any other promising BLMareas near Cody that may offer a chance at a decent mulie buck. There's TONS of it, but I'm wondering if some areas are better than others.I'm hoping to head out there in November, as educated as possible ahead of time. Of course, I'm sure there's no replacement forputting some miles on my boots. If you have any knowledge of mule good deer hunting near Cody, WY, I'd be oblidged if you could offer me some direction. Send me a PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Heading to Cody, WY in November!

A couple of days ahead of the hunt if you could hire a plane or helicopter for a couple of hours to do a fly over the areas you could learn a lot..
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
usa
Fork Horn

not familar with those areas, we hunted north and east of Cody and we were into grizzlys everyday. make sure you carry bear spray,
Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM

Not familiar with Cody per de, but did hunt in Medicine Bow forest in SE Wyoming - we hunted in the beginning of October and still had snow. November in Wyoming...I think you should buy a sno-cat or a honkin Polaris. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 AM

Blizzards and grizzlies?! Something to look forward to! [&:]
Old 08-31-2005, 07:42 AM

Did you get one of the general tags in region F?

You can get BLM maps from their office in Cody.

Also you can get on the WY Game&Fish web page and check out the walkin's and HMA. The have maps you can print off of these area's

I don't know anything about the heart mtn area butifthe carter mtn HMA is on the Hoo Dooand you have some weather it could be good
Old 08-31-2005, 01:00 PM

My father had hunted that area (including carter Mountain) for 7 years in a row during which time he killed 5 bucksincluding a 31and a 30 incher. They had a lot of snow those years and he saw a good number of deer. I hunted the Carter Mountain Management Area in 2000 (rifle season). The weather was extremely warm (I believe it was in the 90's for 3 straight days). We saw a good number of small deer, tons of elk, a grizzly, and in the low area a couple of white-tails. I never took a shot. We also saw a good number of hunters. That was my first, and thus far only, trip out west so I have nothing to compare it to. Iwas suprised by the number of hunters,