Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need less recoil

Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Need less recoil

I know I'm a wuss but I need less recoil on my 7mm rem mag. After shooting 1 box sighting in my new scope the shoulder took a beating. I was looking at a muzzle break but am concerned about the excess blast killing my ears. I would like to try a better recoil pad. Does anyone know were I can get one for a Savage 116 Rem Mag ? Oh, preferably not the slip on kind either.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Default RE: Need less recoil

you could just buy a recoil pad that fits over your shoulder for target practice. you won't notice the recoil when you have a nice deer in your sights.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:11 PM

A brake would probably be the most effective, but like you said pretty loud. I was going to suggest a slip on gel type recoil pad. I have one and it works pretty well. Or a shooting jacket with a pad built in.

Some rifles just recoil very sharp, it has to do with weight and stock design. Adding some weight might help. I had a savage 30-06 that was not bad to shoot really. I bought my step father a remington pump in the same caliber and I hated it! One of the sharpest recoiling guns I have ever shot.

It might also be the way you hold it. When you are shooting try to relax. Don't be all tense and lean into the shot. Just butt the rifle against your shoulder, relax and squeeze off the shot. Don't pull it hard into your shoulder or lean into it trying to counter act the recoil. This actually makes it hurt more. If you relax your body will recoil with the gun and it won't hurt nearly as much. Same concept as an auto accident. relaxed people don't get as injured as tense ones that know it is coming. This is why drunk people tend to get hurt less in accidents. They are more relaxed.

You can also get a heavy rest that helps soak up the recoil when bench shooting.

I am smaller than most women and don't have trouble shooting guns that most think kick hard. I shoot close to magnum loads in a muzzle loader, 3-3 1/2 in turkey loads, 12 guage slug guns and some high powered rifles on ocassion. And I only weigh like 115-130 lbs. I weighed 90 lbs when I owned my 30-06. It would spin me around when I shot it, but I never really got injured shooting it. Ok, I got the scope in my head once because I wasn't paying attention.

I also don't bruise though nor have I ever broken a bone in my body. Some people just are not made that way. I could poke my Ex wife with my finger and she would have a bruise the next day. I got hit with a bat once and all it did was leave a bump for a few days.

I think a good recoil pad and a relaxed shooting style would help you quite a bit though. I used to not like shooting bigger guns until someone showed me that. It made a big difference for me.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just looking at recoil pads with my brother, and I am almost sure that Simms/Limbsaver makes one for your gun. We were looking in Cabelas so it would be easy for you to check there or the Simms website. I have them on all mine and my sons guns, and they make a world of difference.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM

If using a brake does it make a difference in accuracy when the brake is turned on to turned off ? I guess when at the range I could have the brake on (wearing ear protection) and then when hunting just turn it off.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:11 PM

If that were the case I would spend the money on a rest that helped with recoil instead of having a brake put on. I thought most breaks were fairly permanent. I don't know if I would take it off or not. All the ones I have shot were built into the barrel, like Magna Porting or something.

Would it change the impact point? There is a good chance since you would be adding and taking away weight from the end of the barrel, essentially tuning or detuning it. It may not only change the impact point, but it may make a good shooting load shoot like crap. If you put one on, I would leave it on. It will change the harmonics of your barrel. I would for sure shoot it both ways to make sure the impact point didn't shift.

Maybe get a different gun? You might shoot better with one you were not intimidated to shoot. Not that I am saying you don't shoot well now, but often times this is a problem. People flinch and anticipate the shot. I do it when I shoot a lot, and I don't know why because it really doesn't hurt?

Paul
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 PM

They make pads that you can wear on your shoulder. I just got one at the local sportsman's center here. I need it when I'm shooting my slug gun. I don't care who calls me a sissy. It helps me make a more accurate shot, and if anyone calls me out on it I will load a tube full of those core-lokt slugs and let them take 3 quick shots. They would pay me to rent the recoil pad lol.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I put a Limb Saver recoil pad on my rifle a couple of years ago and it made a lot of difference.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Knight Modern Muzzle Loading video and Tony Knight demonstrates
the recoil of the Knight rifle with a raw egg between his shoulder and the recoil
pad. He fires the rifle, gets the egg and cracks it on the edge of the bench.

Does any one know what recoil padhe has on the rifle? Or has anyone seen the video?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a wus too and I wear a strap on shoulder pad while target shooting. A couple of other ideas are, use ear plugs and ear muffs. Sometimes the noise can be as bad as the recoil. What about Remingtons reduced recoil loads to get used to your rifle? Jim

Quick Reply: Need less recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.