Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

keep cows off feeder.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default keep cows off feeder.

Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew anyway to keep the cows away from my feeder. Would a fence around it keep them out. And if I did that would the deer jump it to get to it.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: keep cows off feeder.

A friend of mine put fencing all around his feeder to keep the cows out and it realy worked. the cows couldn't get in and the deer just jumped over.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a couple strands of barb wire and it will keep the cows out and the deer will go through the strands.

Bobby
Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew anyway to keep the cows away from my feeder. Would a fence around it keep them out. And if I did that would the deer jump it to get to it.
A barbed wire or split rail fence would do good.
It would let the deer and maybe some turkeys in but not the cattle.

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM

I would just keep the fence pretty low. Deer can jump pretty high, but why make it hard for them? Cattle hardly ever jump more than 2 inches lol. It doesn't take much to keep them contained.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM

I put a fence around an apple tree that I wanted to keep for the deer. This tree was near my stand and the cows would congregate around the treefor hours eating all the apples. I just put up a cheap snow fence and it kept them out, out of sight out of mind I guess. The deer loved it they would come in hop over the fence and enjoy the apples all with 50 yards of my stand. Saw a lot of deer come to the fenced in apple tree.. Best of all the cows would go somewhere else.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM

A bird feeder?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm prety sure he is talking about either a gravity flow or a timed feeder for deer.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 PM

Easiest fence around a feeder is made from hog panels, three feet high by 10 feet long. Two panels per side, held up with T posts. Keeps out cattle, sheep, and goats, and whitetails will jump right in, except for the itty bitty ones.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: 62staff

I put a fence around an apple tree that I wanted to keep for the deer. This tree was near my stand and the cows would congregate around the treefor hours eating all the apples. I just put up a cheap snow fence and it kept them out, out of sight out of mind I guess. The deer loved it they would come in hop over the fence and enjoy the apples all with 50 yards of my stand. Saw a lot of deer come to the fenced in apple tree.. Best of all the cows would go somewhere else.
Quick, Easy, and CHEAP....I never even thought of Snow Fencing. It keeps the cows out and is also safer than barbed wire for the deer to cross. GOOD IDEA

Quick Reply: keep cows off feeder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.