Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How early to put portable stand up??? >

How early to put portable stand up???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How early to put portable stand up???

Old 08-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Default How early to put portable stand up???

I was getting restless and thought I might put my climber up or at least clean up a tree, Im pretty sure the area I want to sit in and since my stand is on private land I might go ahead, how early do you guys put up your stand.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How early to put portable stand up???

Just before I climb with it. Kind of defeats the purpose to pull it up after I've climbed the tree...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 AM

Most guys i know set there stand up in june or juy.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 AM

I'm setting mine this weekend and since my opener is Oct 1 i feel that i am a little late. Just watch your scent.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

If I know where I am going to sit with my climber, I'll take it out and do all my trimming necessary. mostly though I do the trimming when I take to the woods to hunt. for loc ons, I'll be putting a few up here shortly in trees that have produced for me in the past.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

last week
Old 08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Um, excuse me, but how in the world do you intend to put up your CLIMBER stand ahead of season. Are you going to live in the stand til season? I thought you "put up" a climber with you in it, when your ready to use it.

As for any other kinds of stands, our farm has a whole bunch of (mostly ladder) stands that have been there for years. A few extras get popped up prior to season depending upon sign.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:54 PM

ah, you can put it up the day of. People make a bigger deal aboutleaving scent than there really is. Last season I hunted my squirrel dog all the way up to probably the day I started deer hunting. If my memory serves me correctly, I took my squirrel dog out in the morning and went deer hunting that evening, saw deer too. It was something like that anyway. Deer adjust to their surroundings, if you spend time in the woods, you're not going to bother the deer too much. Like I said I run the woods with a treedog, whooping and hollering at him while the hunt. He barks and makes a fuss. And I still got my deer. All my life I've hung stands and then changed them throughout the season. It doesn't typically hurt much in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 PM

My partner and I leave most of our ladderstands (11 of them)up all year and for several years at a time.
We do have a couple climbers and a couple hang on stands in the truck in case we need to change up.
I'm going out next weekend and put up a couple of pop up blinds. They will be out all season too.
Helps if you hunt private land.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:10 PM

"Never Put off until tomorrow, that which you can do today." I moved 2 of my ladder stands a week ago. If your bored and its not too hot put it up when its convenient to you.Deer live in the woods, they can differentiate an old scent from a fresh one. Just like we can tell a fresh fart from an old one. I really don't think "Stinking" up your areamatters as much as the amount of pressure you put on your stand. Don't visit yourarea allot andjust watch your scent the dayof your hunt. Hey if hes gonna be there, hell be there regardless. Good Hunting!

Quick Reply: How early to put portable stand up???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.