Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Regional Differences

Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Regional Differences

I'm lookin to see who has hunted different regions and what they think the differences are between the regions if any. I've hunted upstate NY which is fun and filled with mucho deer. Uncles usually set me up on watch while a couple of them push a section of woods. Here in California it seems the deer are few and far between but have seen deer in ravines where there is a creek at the bottom though by the time I see them I don't get a good shot at em.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Regional Differences

Down here there is an abundance of deer,and it is very thick.Around my area a mature buck will score between 85"-100",and will weigh 135-150lb.Every now and then you will here of a monster buck weighing 200lb,but then again some of those people kill spikes that they think weigh 175lb.In north Ga.I would say their average mature buck would be 100"-120" weighing 160-175lbs.I went to Missouri last year,and the first day saw 2 bucks bigger than anything I have ever saw in my life.I would guess one to be around the 140's,and the other to be in the 160's.Year before last one of the guys took one that scored 163".Those deer look like little cows.Their bones are even thick around their ankles.I shot a 2.5 year old 5pt there,and he weighed 180lb.I guess all those soybean,and cornfields helped them alot.I saw some does there that would have went 160lb easy!I guess someone from there is reading this laughing.I'm ready to go back.These 75lb spikes,and 90lb grown does are nice to hunt,but it's a whole other world just 1000 miles away..It's so open over there they couldn't possibly have a season like we do or the deer would be extinct.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:19 PM

I hunt webb county in south texas. Id probably say the average mature buck I see(5 1/2)would go about 130 B&C and weigh about 150 pounds.A big buck will usually weigharound 200 pounds. Average mature doe is about 100 pounds. Iusually see about3 bucks a day, with a shooter being over 150 b&c.Average summer high temperature is around 103 degrees. Winter temps rarely go below freezing. On a normal November day Ill wake up to 45 degrees with it quickly warming up to around 70. Subtract 5 degrees from that for December. The terrain is rolling hills covered with mesquite and prickly pear cactus. I usually hunt out of a tower blinds depending on the spot. Most of my blinds are near a sendero (caliche road) or another clearing of some sort or a tank. The brush is 12 feet at the tallest but extremely thick. What really gets you is not how thick it is but that fact thateverything has a sticker. You learn pretty quick to not go trapsin around in the brush otherwise youll be pickin cactus needles out of your butt all night long.People from other areas always use the word "woods" to describe where they hunt. Parts of texas fit this description but South Texas is like a whole nother country when compared to most parts of the usa.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Webb county I lived in Duvall County in the eighties
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 PM

You lived in the middle of what i consider the greatest place to hunt whitetail deer in the country.Not just the fact that they have monster deer, its the south texas expierience.You just gotta see it to understand. Where you living now?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Im planning to hunt in B.C. not sure exactly where yet. I saw some deer on Grouse Mountain but I'll get arrested if I hunt them there. Then theres Racoons (monkeys) in Stanley park. But they have rabies. Theres Rabbits on Jericho beach or Coyotes. Skunks wnder the city. So do rats. Theres a great abundance of Seagulls and crows. Then you've got your Starlings and Chickadees.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Me thinks you are not really on about hunting, are you?Nobody hunts chikadees!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted in Maryland and Florida. Maryland was a whole lot easier.

In Maryland...
The terrain can be thick but nothing like the Cypress heads in Florida. There is nothing scary about walking in the woods in MD. I found it was a whole lot easier to find the deer in MD. The climate can be damp and cold.

In Florida...Very dangerous..Lots of poisoness snakes , unpredictable gators and try getting then deer to come out of them Cypress domes. LOL They won't .You got to go in there after them. It's hot and wet. And your reward....a deer that might go 100 pounds maybe.

Chuck

Old 08-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I usally hunt No.Fl.. Deer in So.Fl are to small. Starting in Canada to the Fl Keys,
the Fl Keys deer are the smallest in the US and protected by federal law. No hunting
in Monroe county of any kind. Pepole hunting in the Glades have to be sure they
don't cross the line andkill a deer in monroe county.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ranchand99
I went to Missouri last year,and the first day saw 2 bucks bigger than anything I have ever saw in my life.I would guess one to be around the 140's,and the other to be in the 160's.Year before last one of the guys took one that scored 163".Those deer look like little cows.Their bones are even thick around their ankles.I shot a 2.5 year old 5pt there,and he weighed 180lb.I guess all those soybean,and cornfields helped them alot.I saw some does there that would have went 160lb easy!I guess someone from there is reading this laughing.I'm ready to go back.These 75lb spikes,and 90lb grown does are nice to hunt,but it's a whole other world just 1000 miles away..It's so open over there they couldn't possibly have a season like we do or the deer would be extinct.
I'll testify to that !
I live in the n.east corner of Oklahoma(south west Missiouri)
and the are definatly well fed !!
My biggest doe was 130 lbs !
My biggest buck was 195 dressed out.
I definatly know of bigger deer than that around here,just haven't got
one as of yet !

Missiouri had a unlimited doe tag last year!!

You buy a doe tag for residents,and each one you get,gets checked in and a punch on your tag. You can't beat that !!
getting to be a over populated in south west Missiouri.

Quick Reply: Regional Differences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.