Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Story

Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Deer Hunting Story

I just thought that I would share the story of the first time I went deer hunting. I did not grow up in a family of hunters. It wasn’t until I was older and was on my own that I got into hunting. I had read everything I could get my hands on about deer hunting. After a few tries I got drawn for a mule deer hunt. We camped up by strawberry and woke up early the first morning and went to an area that we had scouted out before. We got in position and started calling the mule deer and waiting and watching. After about four hours we decided to go back to camp for some breakfast. I took my rifle and put the strap across my chest so it would not slide off while I hiked out. My father, who was with me, did the same thing. Then I stood up and I was met by something that caught be totally by surprise. Standing in the bushes a little bit in front of me looking at me was a mule deer buck. We looked at each other and before I could even react he was gone back into the woods. We didn’t see another buck the rest of the hunting trip!

I thought you guys might enjoy this story. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Hunting Story

In another post, I posted one. I had to take a crap and went behind a big tree
to do my business, layed my rifle against the side of the tree just to the side.
Was'nt there 5mins, when I looked up and there wasa massive 8pt checking
me out and could'nt reach my rifle. He was about 20yds from me. He must
have stood there about 6-7mins. before he turned around and headed back in
the woods, very calmly.
I never took another crap in the woods since then and that was in 1965. I started
going to the johnin camp before I went in the woods.