Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A FRUSTRATED DEER HUNTER

Old 08-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A FRUSTRATED DEER HUNTER

I HUNTED FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS IN ALABAMA (MOSTLY BOW) BEFORE I TOOK MY FIRST DECENT BUCK AS IT SEEMED SOMETHING ALWAYS WENT WRONG. I'VE SAT THROUGH WIND, RAIN, COLD AND HEAT ...GOT UP AND LEFT A WARM BED 3 HRS BEFORE DAYLIGHT JUST TO HUNT THAT ELUSSIVE DREAM. ONE AFTERNOON WHILE SETTING IN MY PORTABLE TREE STAND I STARTED THINKING ABOUT WHY I CONTINUED THIS FRUTRATING SPORT AND THIS IS WHAT CAME TO MIND .... I WROTE THIS IN 1988 AND HAD IT PUBLISHED ... MAYBE YOU HAVE READ IT BEFORE MAYBE NOT BUT I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT .... I CALL IT "THE DEER HUNTERS PRAYER"

Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Default RE: A FRUSTRATED DEER HUNTER

i thought it was good. nice work DR.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If, after 15 years, you're really wondering why you are in this "frustrating sport" - you might want to get out.

I myself am not in it just for the harvest. I love the beauty of a sunrise, with all of the Lord's creature's getting out of bed and starting their day. I love to watch the animals - all of them, for each of their unique beauties. I seek the solitude and escape from my day-to-day schedule. I love all my hunting buddies who I go on day hunts and the folks in deer camp. Being with my sons as I think my Father and his buddies did when I was a little guy. I love the good hearted joking and fun poking. I like seeing the other hunters who have become friends after years of hunting around each other.

I am not into the sport for thre reason of taking possesion of a stupid ueless rack of antlers. It is unethical in my book, to harvest an animal while putting more emphasis on the rack than the Lord's sacrifice of healthy, natural meat.

Maybe it's time for a "re-birth" for you or something along those lines. A new attitude. Tell yourself that you are now out hunting because that is where you WANT to be and goshdarnit it's gonna take a lightning strike to get the smile off your face.

Just try to remember that all those mistakes and blown opportunities are how humans educate themselves. We always have, in all aspects of our lives.

I will pray that you find a peaceful place to place your stand.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice Doc!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I HUNTED FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS IN ALABAMA (MOSTLY BOW) BEFORE I TOOK MY FIRST DECENT BUCK AS IT SEEMED SOMETHING ALWAYS WENT WRONG.
I know that feeling Big Time.

Ecept I am in Randolph Cpounty NC where the
Buck Ratio is 1.58 Bucks a square mile.
The deer are here but on pubblic land where every one and his brother,
Uncle - Couisn - Friend.
During Deer season the parking area looks Like WalMart Parking Lot.
And Turkey season it looks like a WalMart Parking lot to.
Keeps the deer stirred up its HARD REAL HARD to get a deer or Turkey.
Like last year I walked about 2 miles back in the public land.
Got set up and looked behind me and there was a
4 wheeler parked about 20 yards away.

Any Way I Know How You Feel.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

uncle matt, lighten up. It was a poem. And a very good one at that. It's easy to particpate in these online forums and talke about how the "hunt" for you is about communing with Gods creatures and pondering the meaning of life. I certainly think you are in the minority, and maybe it is you that needs to find a new hobby. I'm not a trophy hunter in the sense that you described, but my heart beats faster the bigger the deer gets. That's human nature. It's also easier for someone from IL to criticize trophy hunters when you actually get to see deer that look like the ones plastered all over the magazines and tv shows. I haven't hunted in AL, but I don't think the mags and tv shows are representative of the deer herd there.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

fillae...Good response. The Doctor was just trying to explain his reasons. I tip my hat to him for staying with it for all that time. Others would have bailed out after a few short seasons.

I have been hunting for many, many years and it's my favorite thing to do in this world. Can it be frustrating?....Youbetcha! Maybe uncle matt should hunt NH where some areas have less than 5 deer per square mile...talk about frustrating. I know buddies that have hunted Maine/NH for years and have never shot a deer and they get real frustrated..., yet they're still there year after year simply they love it....
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

MATT THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT ... BUT OBVIOUSLY IF I DID NOT UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE I WOULD HAVE NEVER CONTINUED COMING BACK YEAR AFTER YEAR ... MY FRUSTRATION WAS DUE TO MY WANTING TO PROVE TO MYSELF THAT I COULD GET THE JOB DONE ... JUST LIKE PLAYING FOOTBALL ... JUST LIKE BEING ON THE JOB I WANTED TO ACHIVE MY GOAL AND THAT GOAL WAS TO TAKE A NICE BUCK AND YES ONE WITH A LARGE RACK ... BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON ...WRONG WIND ... MOVEMENT ... THE DEERS 6TH SENCE ... SQUEAKING STAND ... ARROW FALLING OFF MY REST ...OR JUST A BAD SHOT SEEMED SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENED TO KEEP ME FROM HARVESTING A NICE BUCK AND THUS THE OPENING LINE OF THE POEM " HERE I SIT AGAIN OH LORD" .... WELL MAYBE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND UNCLE MATT .... BUT I AM SURE SOME ON HERE DO ...

DD
Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If, after 15 years, you're really wondering why you are in this "frustrating sport" - you might want to get out.

I myself am not in it just for the harvest. I love the beauty of a sunrise, with all of the Lord's creature's getting out of bed and starting their day. I love to watch the animals - all of them, for each of their unique beauties. I seek the solitude and escape from my day-to-day schedule. I love all my hunting buddies who I go on day hunts and the folks in deer camp. Being with my sons as I think my Father and his buddies did when I was a little guy. I love the good hearted joking and fun poking. I like seeing the other hunters who have become friends after years of hunting around each other.

I am not into the sport for thre reason of taking possesion of a stupid ueless rack of antlers. It is unethical in my book, to harvest an animal while putting more emphasis on the rack than the Lord's sacrifice of healthy, natural meat.

Maybe it's time for a "re-birth" for you or something along those lines. A new attitude. Tell yourself that you are now out hunting because that is where you WANT to be and goshdarnit it's gonna take a lightning strike to get the smile off your face.

Just try to remember that all those mistakes and blown opportunities are how humans educate themselves. We always have, in all aspects of our lives.

I will pray that you find a peaceful place to place your stand.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

Couldnt of said it better.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey UM,

Take a Chill Pill - Your clearly reading something into a post thats not there by insinuating this hunter is hunting soley for the harvest or a rack. That clearly is not what he said.

I myself am not in it just for the harvest.
I am not into the sport for the reason of taking possesion of a stupid useless rack of antlers
Geeeez - this is exactly the kinda Crap that gets everybody fired up and ends up in a big bad ass pissin match between a bunch of grown men!

Hopefully most if not ALL of us hunt for all the reasons mentioned by DD and UM.

BTW nice poem. I printed copies and might laminate.

Quick Reply: A FRUSTRATED DEER HUNTER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.