Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Count points now or later?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Count points now or later?

When you see a buck do you count points and check his size before you shoot or do u just shoot him and examine his size once he's on the ground. I live in Pa which has antler restrictions but i have a disabled permit which allows me to take any buck with a 3inch spike orlarger. So as long as i see horns i block them out don't eye em up and check his size once i am ready 2 tie my tag thru his ear. What do you all do?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Count points now or later?

Because of antler restrictions in the MO county I hunt, I have to count points first. I am one that would rather shoot a nice doe than an average buck, so I counted them even before the restrictions.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never counted before AR's. I always looked at "size," not # of points. Now, in PA, we have to count and make sure, but everything I shot before AR's is still legal, so it was no change for me.

A couple seasons ago, I killed a monster 6 point that I never counted the points. I judged him to be a big 8 or 10 point at least, and never gave a second glance at the rack. When I found him dead, and realized that he had no brow tines, and only 3 on a side, it was a surprise to say the least. It was over 18" wide with 9" G1's (no browtines). Really quite a spectacle.

Lucky for me, it was a 3-to-a-side area, so he was legal. That's the closest I've ever came to really making a big mistake.

I'm still not a point counter. It takes me one glance to realize whether he's a shooter or not. Hopefully, I never run across another monster 6 point in a 4-point area, or I'll be up the creek.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I field judge before pulling the trigger, this includes more than just the counting of tines but all attributes that determine or make up hisheadgear(beam length, mass, tine length and number, character (non typical growth, etc) and spread).
Old 08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I always check him before I pull the trigger and if I'm not sure, I don't shoot--- unless it's one of those monsters that when you see him, you just know. I've gotten pretty selective in my old age ... lol
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

i make a quick inspection and then decide. Hey where are you in Pa. ?? i live there and am disabled. Hunt bt myself and many times crawl to my chair. But Why shoot a inmature deer ?? Just because we are disabled does not mean we have to lower are standards to be a success. I let lots of small doe go by last year and spent 389 hours in my chair. But got three deer all over 150 lbs. Be a overcomer.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey cardeer i live in somerset county. im going to take whatever buck comes by ive only harvested 2 bucks so far in pa and i am still young im only 18 so for now as long as i see horns on its head it satisfies me. in a few years though i will probably raise my standards.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

i would say count first like deerslayer i live in Pa so you have to anyway.For exampleone night me my brother and a friend were spotting and saw a buck with really high horns then he turned his head and he was only a 4 point so size and the way youre looking at a deer can be decieving. I think the antler restriction in pa is working so i vote count em before you down em.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was younger I would shoot as soon as I saw white on their head. Now I definately look and count points, look at spread, etc. before I make the decision to shoot. It's a challenge to try and better my "best" each year. I shoot a doe for meat.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM

If i get time, i count the basic number of points. I'm more interested in body size and mass on the rack to judge maturity. I've had shots on good sized 8 points that lacked the body size and mass to be mature, so i let them walk. However, if i have a deer come flying by me, i judge the overall size of the rack and decide to shoot. I shot a 6 pointer that looked real good until i got up to him. I mean, i'm still proud of him and he was a good buck, but having 6 points instead of 8 made me kinda frustrated. I really would rather judge a buck on mass and overall body size instead of point numbers. AR's are pretty much a temporary solution, just a band aid, for people who want bigger deer and the dnr wanting a better structured herd.

slayer

Quick Reply: Count points now or later?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.