Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel >

Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel

Old 08-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel

I bought a new Hastings rifled slug barrel for my Remington 12ga shotgun and need some suggestions as to how to zero it in right. I have never deer hunted with a slug gun but want to try it this year and I understand this Hastings barrel is the "cats meow" when it comes to shooting sabots. I would like to know where to start to zero it in and what the maximum should be ...it is a 3in mag and will have a 3X9 scope.

Thanks
DD
Old 08-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel

I would sight it in 1" high at 50 yards and you should be good out to 150. Look up the ballistics for the slug you will be shooting and then shoot it in the field to make sure what it does out of your gun and you will be fine.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off make sure you site in on a day where there is very little wind. It goes without saying, but slugs are more suceptible to wind then most centerfire bullets..

If you are serious about acuracy,(as I already know your are), I would expect to show up at the range with no less than 4-5 different brands of slugs.

First thing to keep in mind is that your barrel has a 1-34 twist. That means it is relatively slow and may not stabilize certain lightweight bullets.

Whenever reading recomendations on how a particular slug shoots insomeone elsesgun, always follow the comments from those who are shooting a rifled barell with a similar twist. For example in your case, two similar guns would be the Mossberg 695 (1-36), and Savage 210 (1-35), among others.

First thing I would do personally,(and as always othersmay certainly disagree), is to get sighted at 75 yds. This is happpy medium between the 50 and 100yd sight in where wind is only a minor factor, and deviations in accuracy can be displayed well.

For your original site in Iwould recomend using Remington Copper Solids. They are one of most stabile, accurate sabots on the market. The only reason why you will be trying other sabots is that these do not have the best trajectory. You will be searching for a good accuracy and a better trajectory after you are sighted in. (For the most part you can relatively trust the trajectories supplied by sabot manufacturers.)

Now once you are happily sighted in at 75yds you are simply going to shoot 5 shot groups of each different brand of ammo you are going to try. Remember at this point you are not worried about the bullseye,(as you will be resighting again specificallyto your final choice of ammo), all you will be looking for is consistant grouping size.

You may get luck and the ammo with the best trajectory also happens to be the most accurate in your gun. In which casethat willbeyour easy choice. Otherwise you must make an accuraracy vs trjectory judgement on the final competing ammo.

Once you come up with your final choice you can read the maufacturers stated trajectory and based on your expected range decide on where you would like your expected zero. In my case that is is 1in high at 100yds with my ammo. That gives me a steady hold through 125yds, most likely the far end of my expected range.

To be cont..
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sighted my wife's 20 ga.in with the Remington Premier Ultra Bonded Sabots and they are expensive but IMO they are worth every dime. I would definitely try them. I was shooting 3 shot groups at 50 yards that were about the size of a quarter.That was with a hastings barrel also. Here are the ballistics on that bullet:
[align=left]http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/am_prsabotslug.htm

[/align]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the best performing slugs as far as trajectory goes here are a few.

Hornady H2k....Hornady SST.....These two slugs more that likely will not stabilze well in a barell with

your twist.

Winchester Partition Gold.....a #1 choice

Remmington Core Lokt ultras.....a#1 choice....and my personal favorite, its all I use right now.

Lightfields.....lacking in trajectory...but very accurate...worth a try

I am sure others will suggest some more. But as always check the trajectories, and make sure they are appropriate for your expected range.

My savage 210..

Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing to keep in mind......be aware that 12ga and 20ga slug guns barrels from the same manufacturer have completely different rates of twist.

This means that a brand of ammo shot in both a 12ga and a 20 ga may shoot completely different. Itis not a safe to assume that if something shoots well in a 20ga that it will shoot will in that manufacturers12ga
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting with a slug gun for 10 years and they have really come a long way in that time as far as performance and accuracy. One thing is for sure, you will not want to shoot a lot at one timewhen sighting your gun in. A slug gun, mine anyway, has a lot of recoil and will take control of your shooting habits after your first box of shells. There has been some very good advice posted, such as starting out at 50 yards. When doing so make sure your target is large enough that you will see where your first shot hits or at least have a spotter. 150 yards is a heck of a long shot for a slug gun, however it is attainable with consistent practice. Make sure you have a quality scope as it will take some punishment, and around here (IN)there are very few hunters who use such a high powered scope for a slug gun. A slug I have had had great success with is the Brenekke slug. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG brought up a good point I forgot to mention. If you are serious about spending range time with this gun, make it quality time. The best way to ensure that is with a quality shoulder recoil pad.
Without one, 5 shots may have you flinching. With one, I have no problem shooting up to 50 shots in a single range session.
For me it is a don't leave home for the range without one, item.

I use, and recommend the Past mag plus recoil shield.(I picked up an extraone on ebay for 15$ last week....FYI)
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/310010.html

Old 08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys for taking all the time to give me this info ...this is what helps make this sight and our sport GREAT ...

DD
Old 08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem DD,

Here is the anotheridea to help extended your time at the range when shooting slugs. A very heavy rest. I personally use a brute tite-group rest for slug shooting.It is incredibly functional for sighting in, andit tilts the scale around 14lbs.

http://www.titegroup.com/

Quick Reply: Help On How to Zero In Slug Barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.