Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer age

Old 08-03-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Deer age

This picture was taken on a trail camera.I am not that good at determining the age of a deer.He looks young to me.Are there any experts out there that can tell how old he is.Thanks

Old 08-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Default RE: Deer age

I'm no expert but just guessing 3 or 4 yrs old.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know where the picture was taken (state) but this appears to be a young deer with good genetics. Not really a good picture to judge him from as you can't see where the top of his back stops.

I would say 2, maybe....................3.

He's gonna have a nice rack come hunting season.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 PM

Here is another picture.They were taken in northwest Missouri.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 PM

They certainly aren't great pics and aren't enough evidence to make a "kill it or leave it" decision with. But based on what I saw from the first pic I thought 3.5 years, after seeing the 2nd pic I am more convinced he is 3.5. I doubt he is older than that, but at the MOST he could be 4.5 but I really doubt that. He has the flatter quarters, swayed back and slightly protruding belly of a deer that is older than 2.5. But his face, neck and pedicles say he isn't fully mature.

Looks like a good one in the makin, watch him 2 more years and he will SCARE YOU!!!
RA
Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a good one in the makin, watch him 2 more years and he will SCARE YOU!!!
RA
He looks like he could be a real trophy some day.
That is if some one don't get him before he can.

I hope you can wait and get him when he is really big.

Good Luck
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Alot of aging a deer like your asking helps if we know the state. I seen2 year olds in Iowa look better then 5 year olds in Pa.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM

I would guess 2 1/2 by season.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:34 PM

This deer appears to be 3 1/2 to 4 yrs. i would say 3 to 3 1/2 is closer. but dont be surprised, this could be a deer with good genetics and potential. hard to see his chest depth and his back to belly thickness. there is really no way of telling how old he is for sure, that is until he is hanging from the rafters and you check his teeth. i would say in about two tears, he will make you a freaky trophy on the wall. lets us know his age then...good luck
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 AM

Nice pics. I would say he's probably 3 1/2. It's hard to say though. Alot of the features you look for to judge age are nearly impossible to see this time of year. Last year, about this time I watched a bachelor group of 12bucks several evenings in a row. Ijudged them allto be2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old. None of them stood out to be any be anyolder than that. Just a few weeks later, after they had shed their velvet,I saw all of the bucks again. This time, one of the deer dwarfed all of the others. He had just completely blown up andlooked huge. He was at least 5 1/2 and maybe older. Keep that camera going and get us some more pics in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Deer age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.