Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's going on?

Old 09-25-2002, 07:54 AM

Default What's going on?

Last night I saw a group of deer near my stand. The closest one was 45-50 yards, so I passed on the shot, just too far for me. My question is, there was three does and a small buck, either a spike or a forkhorn. They seemed to be chasing each other, and once the buck jumped on the back of a doe. I have seen lambs and cows do this, but never deer. What the heck where they doing?

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 09-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's going on?

They are probably just playing. The small buck may be going through some type of puberty sexual interest. If you have a doe season, shoot the buck's mama before she has time to run him out of the country and in a few years you will have a wall hanger. Otherwise it has been proven that 87% of buck fawns disperse miles away.

Old 09-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the deer were "messing around." The younger buck was probably trying to do the hibbity dibbity with the big mama. I saw a button buck try to um...a doe in front of my house sometime last year, but the doe reared up and kicked him. It was a site. lol

My mind belongs to my work...
My heart belongs to my family...

But my soul...belongs to the woods.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:47 PM

The buck was just playing, same thing happens to guys when they are teenagers.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a button buck try that with his mother last year--he needed a stepladder though! I've also seen does try that with other does when the rut was really kicking in!