Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Location - Location - Location ! >

Location - Location - Location !

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Location - Location - Location !

Old 08-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Location - Location - Location !

I have come to the conclusion that,
No matter how good a hunter you are.
How skilled you are.
How much hunting gear you have.

If you are hunting in the wrong location it just aint gonna happen.

Sooooooooooooooo
What do yall think about this subject ?
And do you have any good tips or tricks for finding
Good locations for Deer or any game animal ?

Thank You

Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Location - Location - Location !

I think a skilled hunter can find deer in any location. A skilled hunter, by definition will realize what is/is not a good location and make necessary adjustments.It will bring out the best in that hunter. Also, unskilled hunters can always shoot deer if there are plenty of deer around.It doesn't takemuch hunting savy to kill a deer when there are 60 per square mile. Now take that same hunter, put him/her in a location with 10 deer per square mile and odds are venison won't be on the menu after that hunting season.

I tip my hat to those folks that spend time to scout and use woodsmanship/knowledge of the game hunted and come up with a sound strategy to fill their tag.

Location is always key regardless of the deer population, but putting everything together to come up with a game plan is paramount.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Well said Jimmy!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are right. It all comes down to location, location, and location. Being in the right location at the right time is what it all comes down too. No matter how good of a hunter you are you aren't going to kill big deer if they don't live where you are hunting. Now that being said, a good hunter is going to seek out and find big deer and then hunt the place accordingly. Not all good hunters have access to land where big deer live nor do they have the funds to go where they live so they have to settle for taking the biggest deer that their area's have to offer. You still have to do some other things right but if you do everything else right and you are in the wrong spot then you aren't going to kill the buck or the deer that you are hunting. On the other hand you can be in the right spot and still do something wrong but you had a much better chance of success than if you had been in the wrong place to begin with so yes IMO location is the most important factor for success.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Skill most definitely has a lot to do with it , but never underestimate dumb luck .
Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd rather be an average hunter in a LOADED area, than a master hunter in a desolate area.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'd rather be an average hunter in a LOADED area, than a master hunter in a desolate area.
If desolate means absolutely no deer at all, then it would not matter. Average is average and I strive to always be better than that.. Average hunters in a loaded area are a dime a dozen.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep,Try finding a girlfriend at a gay club
Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

A "good" deer area usualy still humbles the majority of self proclaimed "good hunters". All kidding aside, I see many many folks that are proud to call themselves "good" hunters say "IF I could hunt in IL I know I could take a bruiser".... many times after a couple weeks of hard hunting the only thing they leave with is a few more gray hairs and a new found respect for mature whitetails.

Seriously, everyone knows you can't kill a big buck where one doesn't exist I just beleieve that most hnters do NOT put in the time to locate their area bucks. It takes hundreds of hours every seasonand is pretty much a year round deal. A good hunter is one that is addicted enough to constantly strive to improve his odds at mature animals.

Good luck to everyone this fall.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:00 PM

I totally agree that location is key, I also believe you need to have enough of them, so you do not burn your locations out. I think the best time to hunt your stands is the first few times and that only makes scent elimination and impact on an areaeven more important.

4-seasons= scouting, scouting, scouting, HUNTING

Quick Reply: Location - Location - Location !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.