Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 the question-do I take the shot or wait a year? >

the question-do I take the shot or wait a year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

the question-do I take the shot or wait a year?

Old 07-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Default the question-do I take the shot or wait a year?

I did a search but didn't find anything like this...and i have this question after seeing two really NICE deer today while working at the lease...

Bowseason..the question is null and void because I have yet to make my first bow kill....

gun season...if one is confronted with a nice deer they think will grow and be better next season..do you wait? The variables being a non-high fenced, what I consider fair chase area. I think everywhere in the county is hunted. I am on a small piece, 160 acres, but have the place ALL to myself with my fee. the owner and his family only dove hunt in September. 18 acres of wheat on the extreme north, and I've watched them feed on the wheat. Bedding in the south, and I KNOW they are bedding there today. alot of activity on my south feeder matter of fact. one tx hwy on the far west side, after that..nothing. the other three sides border other undeveloped land that is hunted, but i'm not sure how frequently

so...long story short, what do the more experienced hunters do? do you give up a shot (if i judge right and think the deer is 1.5 to 2.5 years old) and wait till next year, all while anything might happen to them (hunters next door, vehicle, predators...whatever)...or do you take the shot depending on if he is big enough..etc...

don't mean to ramble, just wasn't sure how to word what I was thinking.

I've only been hunting a few years, and last year I culled a buck that had a 4x2, that the landowner was really glad to see gone. He said he'd seen him 2 years in a row with similar racks. so at least that was an ethical choice and I didn't waste a buck.

I'd like to do the right thing. Not only do I have one buck tag, but I want to do the right thing for the long term and for the animal. thanks for any opinions

Ken B
Old 07-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: the question-do I take the shot or wait a year?

If your a trophy (antler) hunter, ya gotta judge him accurately and if deemed a bit young, let him go til next year. Of course, as you posted, there are many, many more variables which you have absolutely no control over, so once you decide you live with it, possibly forever. The deer may go off and wind up dead many years later from no teeth and starvation (old age) with you never seeing him again. So ya never know if it's the right decision UNLESS you see him again., positively ID him and take him with more antler.

If your not a trophy (antler) hunter - he'll probobly taste just about the same next year, but too old and they can get a bit toughter.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:12 PM

if u want meat kill him if u want a rack wait a year or two.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Hey Ken, My answer to your question would be to judge the deer to your past kills. If you have a buck come by that is bigger than your last I would take that buck. You really can't manage a plot of land well until you have at least 1500-2000 acres. I have never put restrictions on myself as far as how big a deer must be to shoot, however I try not to kill any smaller than what I have already killed. If a young deer has a cool rack (drop tines, odd shape, different characteristics than normal) I will take him so I can mount him and keep him that way. You never know if you will see a deer like that again.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It’s a chance you take as you mentioned. More then likely I would take him depending if I had a good opportunity that would present it self but that’s me and I usually go for the meat. Good luck...
Old 08-02-2005, 06:28 AM

Ken, Deer tend to stay in the same area year after year unless something dramatic happens to their food source. Since you are the only one hunting the area there is a good chance you and the buck will run into each other down the road. The only problem is that the older a buck gets the smarter and luckier he gets. But then, you will be older next year and maybe smarter. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

if u want meat kill him if u want a rack wait a year or two.
If ya want meat take a doe....if possible.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well you know the old saying ..." a hand in the bush is better then2 birdsin the hand" ....or something like that ....;&gt)

Doc
Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

If your hunting season falls in the rut then the bucks will probably range far off the property and there will be a possibility that they will get shot or hit by a car. Everyone has their own idea of what a shooter is and you do too. Follow your own standards and you will be happy.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 AM

To some people a rack isnt important. I have shot my share of 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks. Usually I try and hold out for a nice buck but when it gets down to crunch timeI take what I can get. Its tough to practice QDM on public land. Regardless.. the first yearlingdoe to walk by gets whacked. Thats meat in the freezer!

Quick Reply: the question-do I take the shot or wait a year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.