Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making Money via Hunting

Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Making Money via Hunting

Are there ways to make money via hunting? I beleive in getting paid to do something you love to do.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Making Money via Hunting

I collect ticks, but have not found anyone who wants to buy them yet!You could make hunting videos!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:50 PM

lmao TC, perhaps if you came up with a scoring/rating system for them and had an abnormally large collection?

Forget the hunting vids, ever wonder why the only national ones are mainly folks like Real Tree, Mossy Oak, Primos, Bushnell, Remington etc...? The films are simply advertising tools to sell products and in most cases they actually lose money on the films. I was told by a very good source a couple of years ago that Primos will spend in the six digits each year making, filming and producing their tapes. If they didn't sell enough calls to make the investment back they wouldn't be around!

The only true "big money" makers in the sport are besides the big hitters like Real Tree, Mossy Oak and a few gunmakers are the "suddenly popular" gadgets and "just gotta have" items that spring up each season. A trend will get hot for 2-3 years and they sell like gangbusters and the owner/s of the company will live out of a suitcase for that period of time and get a stack of orders and a few dollars ahead and hopefully before the fad goes away someone with more money than sense (or a well backed competitor who would like to see them go away) will buy that product or company out and may or may not make it in the end.

Most "millionaire deerhunters" got that way via other endeavors and simply hunt on a largescale because they can afford to and also having the right connections and ties (ala Michael Waddel) is what you see alot of whether you realize it or not. Toxie Haas (inventor Mossy Oak) and Bill Jordan (inventor Real Tree) are some of the few selfmade millionaires in the business. They had a GREAT idea, alot of hard work and a VERY important aspect of success, TIMING and the rest is history. Alot of companies make a few in the industry millionaires on paper but until they sell the company too a large holding company, many of them will never reap the monetary awards of all their hard work.

If it were that easy ALL of us would be doing it!
RA
Old 07-28-2005, 10:07 PM

I went to a franchise buyers convention once (it's a long story but I was going to set up a 7-11) and one of the presenters gave a bit of advice; "do what you know". It sounds simple but myself and most everyone else there didn't get it at the time but it means that if you're going to open up a buisness of your own, open it in something you know a lot about. Many years later I understand that advice; I don't know a thing about hair so it would make no sense to me to open a hair salon. My big haired wife knows squat about archery so it would be insane of her to open a bow shop. She would do well with the hair salon and I'd make a killing at the bow shop because we know about what we're in the buisness of. I always thought that my area needs a decent bow shop that has a good indoor range. All of the ranges in my area are kind of boring. It's almost as if they were an after thought addition to the store. I'd like to see a free range 3D range with more than just paper targets against a foam wall to shoot at. It would turn a casuel shooter into a serious archer who lives to shoot his bow.
I've also thought that a gun shop that had an attached skeet range would do very well by the Mississippi river. Especially if they offered a boat launching service for the duck hunters.
Or maybe a bar/pizza restraunt/campground in the UP of Michigan that was next to one of the big national forests. It could cater to famlies during the summer and hunters in the fall.
Use your imagination of what kind of buisness you'd like to see in the sport you love and do it.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:42 AM

arent there any type of hunting schools or training courses where one could be an instructor teaching hunting? or is tehre a way to make money off of the animals killed? like people would pay money for the animals etc.? sorry I hardly know anything about hunting. All I know is that you get to shoot and that's cool to me.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM

Sounds like you need a little enlightening. The shooting aspect is merely closing the deal so to speak. It comprises less than 1% of what goes int o hunting, It takes killing an animal to harvest it, but it's not about killing. It's a bout the total picture that encompasses a lifestyle that is based on the ages old tradition of gathering food, and enjoying the process.If you are a shooting enthusuiast, maybe skeet, trap, or long range rifle shooting is more suited for you.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Manuman makes a very good point. If you find yourself into "hunting" though and want to make a living it something that has to do with it, perhaps consider taxidermy. You may also consider writing. Just write some stories about things that happen to you while out and about and maybe you could develop into who knows what. you might also look into mechanical engineering and eventually work for a gun or equipmentmanufacturer. There are guide "schools" in the west that might help you become a guide, horse wrangler etc. These may not be ways to make millions but you might be successful making a life around something you enjoy and it's not about the money anyway.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

sure. It's never been easier. Start by buying into a company.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

There is more to it than everyone thinks, there is a total commitment that needs to be made, say goodbye to your family, cause your on the road all year doing shows and seminars and then comes hunting season. Your gone about 300 days a year. Sure it's real cool to be "the man" but it comes with a pretty hefty price. A lot of hard work with sometimes no results. It slowly becomes a job after the novelity where's off, sure it's fun and gratifing, but when you out there on the 10 day of a 14 day hunt and haven't got anything on film yet you start to wonder what the hell am I doing out here when I could be home with my family everyday. No fun to watch your children grow up in pictures.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 AM

That's exactly the reason that I turned down a job as a manager of a plantation a few years back.