Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who makes the best boot blanket! >

Who makes the best boot blanket!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who makes the best boot blanket!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who makes the best boot blanket!

I am sick of my feet freezing. I went out and bought a pair of lacrosse 1200 gram boots last year and they did not do the job in cold weather. Anyone know any good brands for boot blankets?
thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Who makes the best boot blanket!

I went out and bought a pair of lacrosse 1200 gram boots last year and they did not do the job in cold weather.
What type of socks are you wearing with the boots.

Cotton or wool ?

If you wear cotton socks the cotton will hold moisture close to your skin.
If your skin gets wet then it will feel cold.

If you wear wool socks it will wick the moisture away from your skin and keep your skin dry.
Thats when your feet will stay warm.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have tried wool.My feet are the only thing that gets cold.Ithink I am going to invest in a new leather or gortex boot and a boot blanket.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 AM

I have learned that circulation is the key in my case to having warm feet. First of all i get a pair of boots that are a 1/2 size too big and then depending on the brand maybe an extra size wide. This way your foot has plenty of room to move around.

Additionally, all i wear on my feet is one pair of cotton socks (high tube socks-the old ugly ones you used to wear in high school). Upon reaching my stand and after settling in i untie my boots and loosen up all the laces so my feet get plenty of circulation.

Now on cold days i will add the stick on toe warmers into my boots and they work great for about 4-5 hours (just depending on how cold it is) .

FINALLY, to your question about the boot blankets, i bought the artic shield brand two years ago (the ones that look flat not the big puffy ones) and i can tell you boy do they work great. So good in fact thatthe moisture that was on my boot from the snow had dried or evaporated off of my boot and was condensing on the inside of the blankets. They are not too expensive and are easy to pack witha strap that you could put a belt through so they dont get lost.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

My friend has things that slip over his boots made by ArcticShield if that's what you're referring to. He says they work good and really like them. He carries them to the stand with him and puts them on once he's airborne.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Who carries the artic shield boot blankets?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I would imagine Bass Pro or Cabelas, any mainstream sporting goods store.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

superrman, are your feet wet at the end of the day? If so you could suffer from the same thing as me "sweaty feet" and more insulation is not the answer. I now go with 800gram boot and varying weights of polyproplene sock liners depending on the temperature. I often will wear a thin poly sock and merino wool sock over top. The Poly liner will wisk the moisture away from your skin while the merino wool will hold it, yet still provide warmth. At the end of the day my feet are dry & comfortable,yet my boots and wool socks are wet. If you hunt successive days like I do investing in a boot dryer isnot a badidea. They arereasonable and ensure at least at the start of your hunt you'll have a dry start.

Boot blankets work well when your stand hunting and like mentioned wiggle room and loose fit is the way to go. If this is your situation, try wearing a pair of lighterboots in and packing in your stand boots. Once you reach the standswitch socks if required, put on your other dry boots and boot blankets. I hunt now onlyon theground and move lots so this is not a viable option for me.

Boot blankets can be bought a most sporting goods shops or the mail orders like Cabela's.

Best of luck

Edit: whenIsay Boot Blankets I was refering to Artic Sheilds brand. I didn't know their was a BB brand itself, I have only ever seen Artic Sheildsor fleece pullovers. BTW Artic Sheilds are what Saskatchewan Whitetail Outfitter'ssuggest to clients, as they may have to sit all day for upto 6 daysduringweek long huntintemperature's that range from 0 to well on the minus side!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:41 AM

I agree with the Artic Shields, they are much more user friendly than the Boot Blanket brand. The BBs are clunky, huge and simply nylon and Hollofil. The Artic Shield material is a much thinner and more efficient insulation material. The AS brand will roll up and fit easily into a backpack or legpocket, the BBs are like hauling around a pair of lightweight boots. I also agree with the necessity go keep moisture off the feet. I don't care what anyone says about it being ok to wear cotton on their feet, they would be more comfortable and their feet would be drier and warmer if they ditched the cotton. You would'nt wear a wet towel around your body would you? Why do so with your feet?

I have sold hunting boots for decades and too the man, I will recommend a person first put on hunting socks (I prefer a liner sock with a heavier sock over it) and THEN try on boots. Fit is foremost to comfort and warmth.
RA
Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spray your feet with a good anti-perspirant before you put your socks on. Dry feet are warm feet.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best boot blanket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.