Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree Stands

Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Tree Stands

I am just curious.......how many of you take your stands out of the woods every year? The reason for my question is I have left my ladder stands in the tree for 2 years now, and they are still in great condition. I know I probably should take them out every year, but IMO, if they do not rust out, and the straps are still in place, why take them out. I will take them out after this season just to go over them with a "fine tooth comb". I know of hunters who have never taken their stands out of the woods. I would not leave them in the tree that long, but I have no problem with a couple of years of keeping them in the woods!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stands

I have a climber, so i carry it with me when ever i leave. I do have fixed deer stands that i let my guest use on my property and those stands do need to be replaced every 3-5 years depending what the season have been like
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i hunt with my climber i take it out every time. but on our farm we have a metal ladder stand that's been out for 3 -4 years. if it's sealed and everything it should be fine. but every now and then it's probably a good idea to check them.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:09 PM

I leave my ladder stands up year round. Too much of a pain to take daown and set up again, all in the same spots. But I do change the strap every fall. Betwen the sun and rain they can deteriate rather quickly. Not to mention squirrels love to chew on things. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:47 PM

I take mine down after every season, usually the first of January or so. I'll go over them real good to check for any wear or needed maintenance before they go back to the woods in the fall.