Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Staying Warm When The Hunting Gets Good >

Staying Warm When The Hunting Gets Good

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Staying Warm When The Hunting Gets Good

Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Staying Warm When The Hunting Gets Good

Well I wear ColdGear for track and I wasn't overly impressed with it's warming abilities and this was even, of course, with me running and stretching. Maybe it's because it was the only layer I had on besides the jersey. Perhaps it performs better underneath multiple layers of clothing.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Umm, this may seem like an awkward question, but I feel like I can come here to find an answer. If I end up getting another UA top (since my current oneis royal blue), I will get a bottom or "leggings" as well. Now, can a guy make boxers work with the UA leggings? I'm not a fan of tighty-wighties
Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 PM

Rule # one in cold weather Cotton Kills !.......... Rule #two see rule#1............
You don't have to spend alot of money to stay warm, just make sure you layer your clothes. I am a big fan of wool, with a light gortex water proof jacket in my day pack.Stay dry and use hot packs, PS don't wait untill your numb to open up the hot pack's. on real cold day's open the hand warmers in the truck, so at 8-9am when you can't take the cold they're ready. On a cold calm morning those plastic rapper's, make a lot of noise too.

Redallison....is giving you good advice.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

hothands in the boats do the trick. you can also get the electrosocks from the hunting store withthe 9volt battery in them. I got laughed at one year but MAN my feet stayed toasty.
Exactly which socks were these? If I can get my feet comfortable, I would honestly consider this a big accomplishment if nothing else.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM

The trick is to not get cold in the first place. Don't build up a sweat by walking to your hunt location with all your cold weather gear on. All that sweat is just going to sap the warmth right out of your body. I usually carry a small rucksack with my cold weather gear stuffed in it and not put it on until I'm acutally where I plan on hunting. The walk out there might be cold but you can at least walk faster to keep warm. You can't keep warm by doing that on stand.

Another idea I picked up is to buy an old cheap (but warm) sleeping bag. Cut out holes for your arms to slip in and out of and use suspenders to keep it up and wear it while out on stand. You probably won't get it to seal out all cold but it will keep your torso warm and toasty. Think of it as a big mitten for your whole body. The tough part is finding a tall enough sleeping bag that also has a camo pattern. I just wrapped mine in camo burlap with a few stiches to hold it on and found that it really works very well at hiding my outline.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe I read something about sitting on stand while in a sleeping bag. I think it was one of Shockey's tricks.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM

IS you asked about underwear, UA also makes underwear in both briefs and boxer sized. They work AMAZINGLY well because they wick moisture from what typically is the most moisture producing area of the body!

With regards too electric socks, I aint tryin to start a war with anyone but from my experience they are JUNK! We carried several types over the years and they ALL had abnormally high rates of return so we would quit carrying them and look for another brand only to have the same thing happen. Finally we quit carrying them period! Folks still asked for them, but they weren't worth the hastle and POd customers later on down the road.

Look for socks from Remington, Columbia, Mossy Oak, Wigwam and Smartwool...
RA
Old 07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Red on this. I apply Secret Uncented deoderant on my feet to
keep them from sweating, that's what makes your feet cold.
Use a good wool sock so your feet can breathe in the shoe.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

As already stated layers are the key to warmth. When we take to the field it can be cold to start but as the sun burns on get warm and as we all know go the exact opposite direction in a blink of an eye. When you dress in layers it will allow you to adapt to the conditions, this includes the hike into your stand which when your bundled up means your setting yourself up to freeze later.

First loose cotton anything against the body, go with polyproplene or other synthetics as mentioned that will wick or draw moisture away from your body. I use helly hansen poly's and they have always worked extremely well. I have the underwear which I wear no boxers or briefs underneath(go command), being synthetic they are tight and don't stretch like cotton undergarments..hasn't caused me any troubles. I also use the glove liners, sock liners, when really cold the neck and head cover also come with. My next layer is a light fleece set, followed by my heavier fleece or wool pull over, next will be my gortex or windstopper/waterproof garments and followed by my outer wear which is fleece as well. Feet are poly sock liners with a merino wool sock over top & my gortex boots. Hands have the poly liners and then wool or fleece flip over glove/mitts. I always carry hot hands to slide into the mitt portion to provide extra warmth. I also make sure I have a second pair of gloves and flip over mitts in my pack, just in case. For my head fleece or wool coupled with the poly liner keeps my head warm and more importantly dry.

2nd item to consider is nutrition to feed the body. I start off with a solid breaky of oatmeal, bananna, glass of milk and 1 cup of instant decaf coffee...hate it but need some java in the early am. In the field I eat foods that provide a sustain energy boost vs a bang up and flop down. Such as : PBJ sandie's, cereal bars, trail mix, etc. One must also consume fluids and I only drink water when I hunt. I drink small but constant mouthfuls vs large gulps. This help maintain proper fluid levels but when cold outside it also helps keep you warm by minimizing the void or wiz breaks you must take. We all know when its fresh outside how we feel after a long relief..chilly so minimizing this must can actually help keep you warm in the long run. With this in mind this is why I don't take drinks with caffine in them when I hit the field such as: coffee, tea, pop, etc. Caffine makes you void, so it would be counter productive. If you like your hot cup of something, your better to take chicken soup broth or even hot waterthan one of our more normal warm drinks.

I don't stand hunt anymore but do sit on the groundto rattle or ambush points. So when sitting on the ground I make sure i am off the frozen and usually snow covered floor. A fallen tree or a camp stool does the trick for me. When I did stand hunt I still layered but also used boot blankets, sleeping bags, etcfor additional comfort (as already mentioned). Also small movements to keep the blood flowing, like wiggle the toes, move the fingers/hands and small arm and leg circles. When sitting I always stand up and stretched regularily. I know this kind of goes against what we all know about movements in terms of hunting, but you can do these things slowly and carefully to reduce any ill effect. In the end if it allows you to stay comfortable, alert, safeand ultimatelylonger in the stand the benefits far out way the later.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at a union suit from Polartec on LL Bean and I can purchase this garment alone for the same cost of just the mock turtleneck from UnderArmour. My question is this; can the union suit be worn as the first and innermost layer, or should it really go over the UnderArmour?

Quick Reply: Staying Warm When The Hunting Gets Good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.