HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   A question for all deer hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/1061-question-all-deer-hunters.html)

buckhunter3 01-10-2002 07:38 AM

RE: A question for all deer hunters?

It has been years now that I quit hunting rabbits with a beagle.When I lost my last dog who got hit by a car I never took it up again.I don't think I could go hunting rabbits without a dog again.I use to get a thrill watching the dog chasing the rabbit and loved to get out before the season with the dog.Thanks for bringing back some good memories Tazman.

GoTres 01-10-2002 07:52 AM

I look forward to dove hunting every year. I have several places locally and I go to South Texas every year And meet up with my dad and brothers. I would hunt quail, but there aren't many around anymore. I have hunted ducks and geese, but I don't have the equipment and setup to enjoy it so much. Never really hunted rabbits. I like shooting coyotes, but don't see many.

Allen Denton 01-10-2002 09:41 AM

We are seeing more and more coyotes where I hunt and I think I am going to try thast out. I have been reading and I am going to ask the board about it also.

ShortHair 01-10-2002 11:28 AM

After deer season I hunt quail over a German Shorthair. I also hunt ducks/geese. Unless I'm in the swamp shooting woody's I use my GSP to pick up the birds. I start bass fishing near the end of Febuary until August. Then I shoot doves from Labor Day until rifle season for deer starts.

deerslayer still 01-10-2002 11:03 PM

Grouse, woodcock, and pheasant for me and I use a dog. I have a 5 year old GSP.

Big Country 01-11-2002 02:58 AM

In PA deer season is in when small game is, so sadly, I have`nt small game hunted for years.

Bow-4-It 01-11-2002 09:55 AM

I used to hunt for rabbits and pheasants. Not any more. I'm strictly a deer hunter now.

kentlyone 01-11-2002 03:08 PM

I hunt dove before deer season, qual and turkey after, and pheasent when ever I can. I stay clear of the rabbits. I use to hunt a lot of rabbits but now I get sick of dealing with the fleas. It doesnt get cold long enough to rid them of the vermen so I have quit. As for hunting with a dog I wish I had a good trained one. My land is a pretty good streach and you can walk you self to death flushing birds.

I also spend most of my free time hunting fish; crapie in spring large mouth, small mouth, and catfish all summer, along with reds, specks, flounder, amber jacks, grouper, snapper, ling, and the occasional sharks.

Edited by - kentlyone on 01/11/2002 16:14:14

Adui13 01-12-2002 02:21 AM

I hunt just about all legal species, using scouting trips as an excuse to hunt small game, and when in season, upland game birds (quail grouse etc.)But when deer season opens, I put the scatergun away and keep the rifle with me always!

Adui13 01-12-2002 02:23 AM

oh yeah, no dog, but I wish I did! Quail hunting in my area is tough without em!