Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Two Nice Bucks, Which one do you think is better? >

Two Nice Bucks, Which one do you think is better?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two Nice Bucks, Which one do you think is better?

Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Two Nice Bucks, Which one do you think is better?

I don't think #2 would be as good as you guys are thinking. The pics are mis-leading because of the different rates of zoom or distance plus the fact that #1 has his ears back. The first buck clearly has more mass and you would be surprised what kind of tine length it has. Look at the G1s. They are a good 5"-6" now and if that was early July these boys will do ALOT of "finishing off" within the next month, plus check out that 8" dagger stickin out of his head. That is an "ace in the hole" or "angels kiss" for bumpin up the gross. He likewise has some DANDY beams, #2 has short beams which is indicative of youth! Also don't forget that #1 has that dagger in his right beam. Typically antlers grow (with respect too weight and the protein it takes to grow that bone) fairly equally on each side. So if you look closely you will see that #1s left side is about 1" longer everywhere when compared too his right. That is some extra length you might not realize until you put the tape too him.

Percieved mass is REALLY thrown off while in velvet but #1 CLEARLY has alot of it and carries it all the way out. I think #1 is probably older by as much as 2yrs too #2. If I were guessing, #1 is a 4 yr old but probably actually only 3! #2 is probably an outstanding 2 year old and at MOST a 3 yr old, again remember that mass looks double sized while in velvet. Also, look at the distance between the pedicles, that is a gap that narrows with age and obviously mass. #1 clearly has a smaller gap than #2.

Spread is almost USELESS with respects too affecting scoring because it is a one time credit. The difference between a 16" and a 20" inside spread is only 4", or heck add even a solid 10" and say it is a 26"er. Now add 1/2" to each mass measurement (that would give you 4"), add just one inch to each measureable point (on a ten pointer that would be 8" since you are talking about 8 of them) and finally add say 3" too each beams length which yields 6". That is 18" of additions which sound small on paper but add up too a HUGE difference in visual impact and gross score. My best deer is a 14ptr (a basic 12 with matching 1.5" stickers on each G2) that only has a 13.5" inside spread yet officially grosses 154" and change! He is a PRIME example that shows the difference between mass and length vs inside spread!

Personally I would leave them both as you would be FLOORED what they will become in the next one or two years! BUT if I just had to kill one, I would leave #2 and let a beginner or one of my sons kill #1 as they would be tickled and THAT is what trophies are all about, he is unique and has character!!! #2 looks like anything else out there that has decent forage and is given the utmost important aspect of trophy growing... time!
RA
Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are all GUESSING from reasons I find irrelevant. There's only one certain way to determine which one in fact, is the better deer.

Take them both down and cook me some roasts or steaks from them, it's an old tried and true method called the plate test.

Antlers taste like rocks.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would take the doe
Old 07-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd shoot either one without hesitation. If I had to choose,I like the wider rack of #2.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:32 AM

I would have to say #2
Old 07-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both are safe from me.They are decent deer ,just not that large for the area that I hunt.Given a couple of years to mature though,they could be very nice.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:32 PM

this guy is not a deer but an elk, he lives in Elk county
Old 07-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

If they were side by side I probbly would shoot # 2

But if alone I would drop the one in front of me.

My belly don't care about the antlers LoL
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Everybody will probably think I'm crazy --- but I'd let both of 'em walk for at least another year. Judging face, build, and structure, they appear to me to be young deer, probably no more than 3 1/2 years old and while both look pretty good right now, they look like they've got some incredible potential and they'll look so much better in another year or two. Too, bucks in velvet often appear a little larger than they really are. And allowing them to sow their oats a little longer ain't a bad idea either.

So grit your teeth, take some pictures, pattern the heck out of 'em, and hope to see 'em next year.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i had to choose. it would have to be whichever offered the best shot. but alone either would be fair game.

Quick Reply: Two Nice Bucks, Which one do you think is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.